SparkyLinux is a GNU/Linux distribution created on the "testing" branch of Debian. It features customized lightweight desktops (like E19, LXDE and Openbox), multimedia plugins, selected sets of apps and own custom tools to ease different tasks.
Sparky is in-between the distros that are beginner-friendly and those, that require some amount of Linux knowledge. Beginning Linux users are advised to consult the project forums regarding any issues or doubts.
- Debian testing based
- Rolling release
- Fast, light & simple
- Most wireless and mobile network cards supported
- Set of desktops to choose: LXDE, Enlightenment, JWM, KDE, LXQt, Openbox, MATE, Xfce
- Special gaming edition: Sparky GameOver
- Special rescue edition: Sparky Rescue
- Specual multimedia edition: Sparky multimedia
- MinimalGUI Edition to customize the desktop
- MinimalCLI Edition features core system and a few tools
- DVD media with selected set of apps, multimedia codecs and plugins
- For 32 and 64 bit machines with BIOS or UEFI motherboard
- Easy hard drive / USB installation
- Own repository with a large set of additional applications
best for me
Nice rolling distro
Sparkylinux works perfectly, very easy to use with many useful tools. I installed Gnome 3.18 via Synaptic even if it's not supported and enjoying it for months with no issues so far.
This seems to have very similar features to LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) - except Cinnamon option appears to be missing.