7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio. You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip. 7-Zip works for Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008, 2003, 2000, NT, ME, and 98. And there is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license with GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. Check the license for details.
7-Zip at a GlanceAfter you effortlessly download and launch 7-Zip, you’ll quickly discover its simple and easy to navigate interface. The main toolbar contains 7-Zip’s most used features and there are several menus that allow you to dig deeper within. For example, the Extract button lets you easily browse for or accept the default destination directory for your file, while the View menu contains a Folder History, and the Favorites menu lets you save up to ten folders. 7-Zip also integrates with the Windows Explorer menus, displaying archive files as folders and providing a toolbar with drag-and-drop functions. You can also alternate between a single or dual-pane view.
Product Details7-Zip offers several features that make it one of the best compression software options around. For example:
- Open architecture—The source code uses the GNU LGPL license, while the unRAR code is under a mixed license with GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions.
- High compression ratio—Using its own 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression, 7-Zip’s compression ratio is up to 40% higher than its peers. For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10% better than PKZip and WinZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption—This includes both password protection of files and encryption of file names.
- Ability to use may compression, conversion, or encryption methods—For example 7-Zip:
- Supports packing and unpacking for 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP, and WIM.
- Supports unpacking only for ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR, and Z.
- Supports a self-extracting capability for 7z format.
- Integrates with Windows Shell—Using its menu options, you can integrate 7-Zip to the Windows Shell menu.
- Powerful file manager and command line versions—There’s also a plugin for FAR Manager.
- Localizations for 79 languages—This kind of support is why 7-Zip is the world’s favorite free compression software.
|7-Zip is easy to download and use, it opens and compresses most everything, and is has a Windows shell extension.||The interface is a little sparse and so are the instructions, but the program works like a charm anyway.|
- Version: 9.22
- Date added: March 2, 2013
- Operating systems: Windows
Rate This ProjectLogin To Rate This Project
7zip : a useful compression tool and has been for years.
Great piece of free software. I recommend it to people looking for a file archiver as the only one you'll ever need :)
A must-have tool and one that's always worked for me without issue (Windows 7 / XP / 2000/98). SourceForge page banner update: latest no longer works with Windows 98, as noted on developer site; don't know w.e.f. which version compatibility died . Not that anyone likely need care :)
Very good file archiver! I hate WinRAR because you have to pay for it?!? But 7-Zip compresses files better and its FREE!
7-Zip is leagues ahead of a lot of its competitors, it is not only efficient but also very easy to use generally. The nicest thing about 7-Zip is just how reliable it is even for the very large jobs. I have never had 7-Zip crash on me, or cause me any trouble when extracting even quite large directories at work or home. It is also the fastest compression/extraction software I've ever used and I've seen a fair few!