Rikaisama is a modification of the rikaichan Japanese-English popup dictionary that adds many features and customization options such as audio pronunciation, EPWING dictionary support, sanseido web dictionary support, word frequency, pitch accent, enhanced clipboard & save options, ability to create and add cards directly to an open Anki deck, "Super Sticky" mode, ability to remap shortcut keys, more fine-tuned startup options, and more. See http://rikaisama.sourceforge.net/ for more information. Supports Windows, Ubuntu, and newer versions of OSX.
- Ability to hear the pronunciation for the highlighted word.
- EPWING dictionary support.
- Sanseido web dictionary support.
- Ability to display word frequency.
- Ability to display pitch accents.
- Advanced Clipboard & Save options.
- Ability to add cards directly to your Anki deck using Anki's "Real-Time Import" plugin.
- Show which words are already in your known or to-do words list.
- "Super Sticky" mode (only show definition when you Ctrl-click or Alt-click on a word - also allows you to lookup words within the popup!).
- Ability to customize the shortcut key layout.
- Added startup tab to the preferences dialog.
- Kanji link to the Reviewing the Kanji study page.
- Option to make the popup translucent.
Improvement upon rikaichan
I love this addon as it makes my browsing in Japanese websites much easier and I'm really appreciating all the new features, especially the inclusion of Epwing dictionaries. The only downside I found using them is that, unlike rikaichan's edict and enamdict, the additional epwing dictionaries only seem to display the words with the maximum number of kanji. For instance, if I hover over the word 全部 with the included edict dictionary the definitions for both 全 and 全部 will be displayed while if I use the epwing kenkyuusha (or the same edict dictionary in epwing format), only the latter will be displayed (on the other hand, with the epwing version of enamdict I get a mixed behaviour: sometimes it will display the word with the least number of kanji while with some words it will only display the longer result, however it will never display both results simultaneously like rikaichan's enamdict). I honestly don't know whether this is caused by the addon itself or the structure of the Epwing dictionaries but I thought it should let you know just in case.If that's the intended behaviour of the app then please feel free to disregard what I wrote because I'm ok either way. Thanks for your hard work and for developing such a powerful learning tool.
I love Rikaisama it's very helpful in my study of japanese. I don't know where else I could write this I hope you read it: could I suggest an improvement? To make rikaisama works also in combination with IME: so when I write a word in romaji and IME propose a number of kanji (way of writing in japanese) and sometimes differences between them, I can choose better and easier!!! thank you for your work!