Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ around the Qt framework. The target platform will be Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio, and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI,
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on the Qt C++ application and UI framework.
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis), MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction (drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence (a-la QjackCtl).
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VST and LV2 plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support, including native VST FXB/FXP file support.
- Unlimited audio/MIDI effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out, cross-fade (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves, sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband), pitch-shifting (via librubberband) and seamless sample-rate conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, render, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins)); SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported.
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Clock, Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard and MIDI controller shortcuts.
An amazing DAW.
Best DAW I´ve used.
The author says its just a sequencer. I say it's a DAW :)
It seems a little silly to call it "alpha" software when it's more mature and usable than anything in it's category besides Ardour, but I guess the author has his reasons. Good choice of feature set while keeping things fairly simple.
A fantastic piece of software - easy to use, with a very clean interface. Very stable, even though "Alpha". Friendly support and advice from Rui himself on his website. How on earth does he find the time to do all this? :-)