Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ around the Qt framework. The target platform will be Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio, and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI,
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on the Qt C++ application and UI framework.
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis), MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction (drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence (a-la QjackCtl).
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VST and LV2 plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support, including native VST FXB/FXP file support.
- Unlimited audio/MIDI effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out, cross-fade (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves, sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband), pitch-shifting (via librubberband) and seamless sample-rate conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, render, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins)); SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported.
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Clock, Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard and MIDI controller shortcuts.
The author says its just a sequencer. I say it's a DAW :)
It seems a little silly to call it "alpha" software when it's more mature and usable than anything in it's category besides Ardour, but I guess the author has his reasons. Good choice of feature set while keeping things fairly simple.
A fantastic piece of software - easy to use, with a very clean interface. Very stable, even though "Alpha". Friendly support and advice from Rui himself on his website. How on earth does he find the time to do all this? :-)
Definitely my favourite DAW, because it's simple, fast, small, and easy to use. Anything that I need that Qtractor doesn't provide is possible with the vast number of audio plugins. After trying nearly every (free) DAW for linux, I can happily say that I'm probably going to stick with this! Keep up the great work!
Alpha version stable working, simple learning, good working many functions, audio part and midi part functionate well enought. Many big pluses! ) But dust-heap pieces of midi files in project directory is wrong way. In general, good! I like it! :) Long life for QTractor!