poptop on solaris 8 ... !!!

Help
Anonymous
2004-05-18
2012-09-17
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-05-18

Dear All,
    I am trying to install poptop on sparc solaris 8 system. I use gcc 2.95.3 , GNU make 3.8 .
    The configure part passes successfully, but I ecounter this error in make part:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    make  all-am
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/poptop'
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I.    -O2 -fno-builtin -Wall -ansi -DSBINDIR='"
    /usr/local/poptop/sbin"' -c `test -f 'pptpd.c' || echo './'`pptpd.c
    pptpd.c: In function `log_pid':
    pptpd.c:328: warning: int format, pid_t arg (arg 3)
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I.    -O2 -fno-builtin -Wall -ansi -DSBINDIR='"
    /usr/local/poptop/sbin"' -c `test -f 'configfile.c' || echo './'`configfile.c
    /usr/local/poptop/sbin"' -c `test -f 'pptpmanager.c' || echo './'`pptpmanager.c
    pptpmanager.c: In function `pptp_manager':
    pptpmanager.c:125: `sigset_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
    pptpmanager.c:125: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    pptpmanager.c:125: for each function it appears in.)
    pptpmanager.c:125: parse error before `sigchld'
    pptpmanager.c:126: storage size of `sa' isn't known
    pptpmanager.c:128: warning: implicit declaration of function `sigemptyset'
    pptpmanager.c:128: `sigchld' undeclared (first use in this function)
    pptpmanager.c:129: warning: implicit declaration of function `sigaddset'
    pptpmanager.c:133: warning: implicit declaration of function `sigaction'
    pptpmanager.c:275: warning: implicit declaration of function `sigprocmask'
    pptpmanager.c:126: warning: unused variable `sa'
    make[1]: *** [pptpmanager.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/poptop'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    ------------------------------------------------------

I tried using gcc 3.3.2 but I get the same error. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

• Shaddy Baddah

Shaddy Baddah - 2004-05-18

I've made a port of it about three months ago now, and promised to get a patch out. However, I have been far too busy to do this recently. I will review what I have done, and try and give you a tip to get you on your way.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-05-19

Thank you shaddy for your interest. Can you tell me where how to do this port ?

• Shaddy Baddah

Shaddy Baddah - 2004-06-08

Ok. I've had a chance to review my changes (on v1.2.0-b4) against CVS and have concluded that... James Cameron is a champion.

The CVS version of poptop includes pretty much the changes that I determined were required for the porting. So, no need for me to do the patch, one of the best open source developers (in my experience), James Cameron, has already done it.

There are however pointers that I would include with the build.
      1) you must disable bcrelay for Solaris, as this recent addition is not yet fully ported. In my experience, the configure option, --with-bcrelay=no, isn't enough, because the generated Makefile will still contain the dependancies. Here is an example diff:

--- Makefile.generated_from_configure   Tue Jun  8 13:14:00 2004
      +++ Makefile    Tue Jun  8 13:13:31 2004
      @@ -37,7 +37,7 @@
      PRE_UNINSTALL = :
      POST_UNINSTALL = :
      EXTRA_PROGRAMS =
      -sbin_PROGRAMS = pptpd$(EXEEXT) pptpctrl$(EXEEXT) bcrelay$(EXEEXT)
      +sbin_PROGRAMS = pptpd$(EXEEXT) pptpctrl$(EXEEXT) # bcrelay$(EXEEXT)
      subdir = .
      DIST_COMMON = README $(am__configure_deps) $(srcdir)/Makefile.am \         $(srcdir)/Makefile.in $(srcdir)/config.h.in \

2) You will have to change the generated config.h regardless of what I am about to tell you, to point it at the correct PPP_BINARY. Solaris 8 and above come with the Solaris PPP package (with a kernel module, sppp, to distinguish it), however this is in /usr/bin/pppd, and not /usr/sbin/pppd as configure would expect.
         In my experience, this ppp does not work correctly anyway. I advise you to get Paul's PPP Package, build and install it, and then point PPP_BINARY at it. At the time I did it, I did need to make some changes to get PPP to compile on Solaris, and I did *not* attempt to build with MPPE support. It may well work, I don't know. If you use a Windows VPN connection to this pptpd, you will need to uncheck the "Require data encryption" checkbox in the "Options" tab of the connection options to establish the VPN.
         Here is another example diff of the config.h change:

--- config.h.generated_from_configure   Tue Jun  8 13:30:08 2004
      +++ config.h    Tue Jun  8 13:30:19 2004
      @@ -27,7 +27,7 @@
      /* #undef CTRL_MGR_PIPE */

/* Where is my pppd? */
      -#define PPP_BINARY "/usr/sbin/pppd"
      +#define PPP_BINARY "/usr/local/bin/pppd"

/* Have libwrap? */
      /* #undef HAVE_LIBWRAP */

That's all I can offer for the moment. Good luck.