UPDATE 2: I began work on a new project, clip-rpg, and quickly realized that I was in need of a story event handler if I wanted to make a game using it. Thus, P7 has been revived as part of clip-rpg. For those of you wondering, this should not affect the ability of P7 to run independently of clip-rpg. The new project page can be found at https://github.com/foxhead128/clip-rpg
UPDATE: Seeing P7's relative lack of success in the face of more popular and fully-featured competition such as Ren'Py, I have decided to suspend development permanently. You're free to fork P7 if you so desire.
P7 (formerly PieNovel) is an open-source, command-line based visual novel/choose-your-own-adventure engine coded in Python 3. Although it might as well be "PieNovel 7", it is largely a rewrite and is backward-incompatible with PieNovel 6.5 and below. P7 is released under the MIT license.
- Simple event markup language (NOTE: Incompatible with the old PieNovel!)
- Choose-your-own-adventure-type novels
- Player name and gender entry
- Custom gender-specific pronouns
- Viewing webpages using either QtWebKit or the system default Web browser
- Python 3 event scripting
- Basic formatting of text (Unix-like platforms only)
- Support for saving the user's progress
- Compiled executables (Windows only)
Pienovel is good! Thanks.