ORT is a tool for modelling and flying launch vehicles of arbitrary size and complexity. Unlike OpenRocket, it does not focus on amateur rockets but on real-world launch vehicles.
The bundle includes a graphical design tool with an integrated simulation engine for rocket launches. Also included in the bundle is a playback application and a headless driver for logging simulations into spreadsheets.
ORT integrates JME3 for 3D rendering.
- Create models in a snap simply by dragging and dropping components into a diagram and editing properties in side panes dedicated to particular tasks.
- Integrated simulation engine for quick turnaround in the modeller.
- Loads and saves models in XML format.
- Supports three different atmosphere models, pressure drag (0-angle-of-attack only) and earth gravity.
- Supports arbitrarily complex vehicles with multiple stages including strap-on boosters.
- "Live" simulation driver which visualizes state changes in the vehicle and renders a schematic 3D scene of the launch.
- Various launch vehicles included, more to come.
- Vehicle performance is charted (acceleration, velocity, altitude, ...) and can be compared to documented reference data.
- Thrust curves for monopropellant engines.
- Cd(Mach) curves for nosecones.
- Modelling of arbitrary celestial bodies and their atmospheres.
- Modelling of locations on celestial bodies, which can be used as launch sites.