GnuCOBOL (formerly OpenCOBOL) is a free COBOL compiler. cobc translates COBOL source to executable using intermediate C, designated C compiler and linker.
OpenCOBOL 1.1 became GNU Cobol 1.1 in 2013. Official releases at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnucobol
GnuCOBOL 2.2 is the last release, version 3.0 is on its way.
A programmer's guide, by Gary Cutler, and other documentation, is indexed at
OpenCOBOL was written by Keisuke Nishida and Roger While, from 2001 to 2012.
GnuCOBOL is also authored by Simon Sobisch, Ron Norman, Edward Hart, Sergey Kashyrin, Dave Pitts and Brian Tiffin. Others listed in the AUTHORS and THANKS files.
Copyright 2001-2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the FSF; either version 3, or (at your option) any later version.
The libcob run time support source tree is licensed LGPL.
- A nicely complete implementation of COBOL with nearly seamless C integration
- Over 9700 NIST COBOL 85 test suite tests passed, over 840 internal checks
- Dialect support for COBOL85, X/Open, COBOL2002, COBOL2014, MicroFocus, IBM, MVS, ACUCOBOL-GT, RM/COBOL, BS2000
- REPORT SECTION, SCREEN SECTION, FUNCTION-ID support
- Almost full support of the COBOL 2014 Compiler Directing Facility feature set
- EXEC SQL preprocessors available for PostgreSQL, Firebird, ODBC, DB2
- ASCII, EBCDIC, little endian, big endian. A build published for z/OS OMVS/USS
- Compiler built with GNU Autotools and GCC, also successfully builds with LLVM clang, VisualStudio or others
- Direct access to almost all C libraries, and even more with the C++ base
- CGI capable and desktop ready, GTK+ screens have been demonstrated
- Compiler and runtime messages translated; English, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch, German, French, more to come
Follow GnuCOBOL (formerly OpenCOBOL)
Rate This ProjectLogin To Rate This Project
There are no 2 star reviews.