GnuCOBOL (formerly OpenCOBOL) is a free COBOL compiler. cobc translates COBOL source to executable using intermediate C, designated C compiler and linker.
OpenCOBOL 1.1 became GNU Cobol 1.1 in 2013. Official releases at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnucobol
GnuCOBOL 2.2 has been released and is the current version.
A programmer's guide, by Gary Cutler, and other documentation, is indexed at
OpenCOBOL was written by Keisuke Nishida and Roger While, from 2001 to 2012.
GnuCOBOL is also authored by Simon Sobisch, Ron Norman, Edward Hart, Sergey Kashyrin, Dave Pitts and Brian Tiffin. Others listed in the AUTHORS and THANKS files.
Copyright 2001-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the FSF; either version 3, or (at your option) any later version.
The libcob run time support source tree is licensed LGPL.
- A nicely complete implementation of COBOL with nearly seamless C integration
- Over 9700 NIST COBOL 85 test suite tests passed, over 740 internal checks
- Dialect support for COBOL85, X/Open, COBOL2002, COBOL2014, MicroFocus, IBM, MVS, ACUCOBOL-GT, RM/COBOL, BS2000
- REPORT SECTION, SCREEN SECTION, FUNCTION-ID support
- Almost full support of the COBOL 2014 Compiler Directing Facility feature set
- EXEC SQL preprocessors available for PostgreSQL, Firebird, ODBC, DB2
- ASCII, EBCDIC, little endian, big endian. A build published for z/OS OMVS/USS
- Compiler built with GNU Autotools and GCC, also successfully builds with LLVM clang, VisualStudio or others
- Direct access to almost all C libraries, and even more with the C++ base
- CGI capable and desktop ready, GTK+ screens have been demonstrated
- Compiler messages translated; English, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Japanese, more to come
6 month ago I started learning COBOL via GNUcobol being tired of those languages which use curled brackets. I installed in on SUSE, UBUNTU and MINT and it ran !!! Opencobilide and garys manual are very helpful to make non-frustrating experieces. The help-forum is superfast and they dont blame you asking beginners questions. If you have to do really dataprocessing (which means not writings apps for Iphones) GNUcobol is the compiler for professional DP. MF wrap up yourself warmly.
Used for a COBOL training program. VSAM files worked very well. Great job, thank you !
Install went smoothly on OSX, everything works great!
One of the best compilers I found
jkrys: I would like your Windows self install exe, info about IDE setup, and any other helpful information you can provide. Thanks a lot.