OmegaT is a free and open source multiplatform Computer Assisted Translation tool with fuzzy matching, translation memory, keyword search, glossaries, and translation leveraging into updated projects.
- Fuzzy matching
- Automatic propagation of translations
- Unlimited number of translation memories (TMX format)
- Unlimited number of glossaries (CSV and TBX format)
- Looking up terms in the project, in reference translation memories, in glossaries and in reference documents
- Projects with an unlimited number of folders and files, in all accepted formats
- Team projects with an unlimited number of translators
- Right to left and bidirectional writing management
- Tag protection and validation
- Morphological recognition
- More than 40 supported file formats, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Open Document Format (LibreOffice, OpenOffice), HTML and XHTML, TTX and SDLXLIFF (Trados), TXML (Wordfast Pro) and IDML (InDesign)
- Spell checking (Hunspell)
- Linguistic checking (LanguageTool)
- Dictionaries (mono and multilingual) in StarDict and Lingvo DSL formats
- Machine translation (Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, Apertium, Yandex)
- Public API for plugins: Additional file formats (Okapi), Local machine translation (Apertium)
- Auto-completion from glossary entries, abbreviation list, history completion and history prediction
- Graphic aligner for all supported formats
- External search on the Internet
I'd say OmegaT is the best CAT tool I've ever used. Yes, Trados is packed with features but even the basic operations are just too clumsy. OmegaT is very simple and straight forward. Editing the glossary (or making one from Excel) can't get any easier. With Trados it takes complex steps using different applications, loading data into containers... etc.. too clumsy. I have wasted too much time trying to get Trados to work properly. It gives you errors everytime you try to generate an output file. Hours and hours of precious time wasted looking for workarounds. With OmegaT, I can get things DONE very quickly, period. I highly recommend OmegaT to freelance translators who want to start getting productive.
The best CAT tool I used.
Best free CAT tool for Linux ever, thanks to anyone contributing to this project