Menu

Notepad++ New Release 5.9.6.1

Don HO
2011-11-05
2012-11-13
  • cchris

cchris - 2011-11-05

You are welcome to make suitable changes - if you don't have write rights already, then please be patient, I have to grant them manually.

What Notepad++ calls a project is basically a cluster of files, freely organised in categories called folders by an obvious analogy.
    Projects are clustered into workspaces; there are 3 separate workspaces you can work on.
    Files are actual references to existing files, while folders are your own choice usually.
    So to set up a project you need to choose a workspace to host it, then possibly defining folders therein and then adding files.
    You cannot blithely add a folder to a project. What you can do is create the project folder first, and into it perform Add files from Directory. The tree structure of the added directory will be mirored in the project.

What is it that gets you confused? Does this account help?

CChris

• Anton Korduan

Anton Korduan - 2011-11-05

Hope, this is the right place:

A fine function would be, if the Project-Manager could save also the bookmarks of the files!
    If the file stays open - no problem. But if I close the file and open it again the bookmarks are gone - which is clear - because where should they have been saved. But now, the Project-Manager maybe is a good possibillity to save the bookmarks also when the file is closed.

Thanx!

• ChrisRaven

ChrisRaven - 2011-11-07

Hi

There is a small problem with Doc Switcher. I believe this exists since the beginning of this feature. The problem is, that Notepad++ doesn't remember sorting after it is closed and reopened. If I sort by name or extension, then close Notepad++ and open it again, all files are again placed on the list in unsorted manner, problably in order in which they were opened.

Second issue with Doc Switcher is, that sorting by name could secondary sort by extension. Currently, there is some randomness in it. E.g.:
    when I have files:
    index.php
    index.tpl
    index.js
    Then, after sorting by name, they are sorted as shown above.
    I have also opened files:
    login.php
    login.js
    login.tpl
    And they are also sorted as above.
    I believe, they all should be sorted that way, that first should be .js file, then .php and .tpl.

And third point. Maybe it could also be handy, to have some way, to sort files in order, they were opened. When someone sort by name or extension, then it is difficult to say, which file was last opened. Ofc, one could look into MRU list, but files sorted in order of opening could be handier, I suppose.

Best regards
    ChrisRaven

• ChrisRaven

ChrisRaven - 2011-11-08

An addition to my previous post.

There is another problem with Doc Switcher. When you made changes in more than one file, and press Ctrl + Shift + S to save them all, then icons of all files but currently visible stay red marking that files are not saved. In the matter of fact, files are saved, but that marking might be misleading. Only when someone click on file, which was marked red, but saved, then the icon turns blue.

And one more thing, when someone made changes in more than one file through replace dialog and replace in all open files button (I'm not sure the name, I'm using polish version), then only currently visible file is marked as changed (icon turned red). Only clicking on other changed files mark them as changed (and even that hasn't always happened).

Best regards
    ChrisRaven

P.S.
    Thanks for the best editor in the world :)

• Can

Can - 2011-11-08

got problems with the block editor but this is not only in this version..i tried some older ones

i´m not able to use the block editor after text..only at the beginning of the lines

otherwise its crashing notepad

the thing is i´m using this feature at work and there´s everything fine

i´m using win 7 x64

cheers Can

• mike smith

mike smith - 2011-11-08

The project manager looks great but how to reference its files/folders to send them to a compiler? Is there a $(CURRENT_PROJECT_FILE) at least that could be parsed by an external tool?

• Joachim Stehle

Joachim Stehle - 2011-11-09

In v5.9.5.1 there is still the broken link issue for workspace files I have already reported for v5.9.5. If a workspace is saved into directory \ABC and you add a link to file \ABCxyz\file1.txt, the stored link is File name="xyz\file1.txt”. There seems to be a problem in the calculation of relative paths.

• Joachim Stehle

Joachim Stehle - 2011-11-09

Update: In my post above I meant v5.9.6 and v5.9.6.1

Joachim

• scrouzil

scrouzil - 2011-11-09

Hi,

Not specific to 5.9.6.1, but it's several updates NPP de-activates NppAutoIndent, due to "stability issues"… But NppAutoIndent is still available in the plugin manager, I use it, it's very useful, and AFAIK it's very stable…

Why this plugin is still automatically de-activated during every update of N++ ?

• Giaco

Giaco - 2011-11-09

the version is 5.9.6.1
    ..and this is the error that pop-up when i start the program

Runtime Error!
    program c:\…..\notepad++.exe

R6034
    an application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library
    incorrectly.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Have some solution?

• decrepit old geekoid

When I just now installed this NPP++ was installed, but it showed me an error file named svchost_problem.txt which said this:

23:12 10/17/2011

svchost1.exe is in:
    C:\Users\?????\AppData\Roaming\win32

svchost2.exe is in:
    C:\Users\?????\AppData\Local\Temp\win32

I've taken my user name out and put in question marks, otherwise that's how the file looks.

BTW, has ISO 8601 been implemented for inserting the short date format? It's putting out "22:15 2011-11-11" now. I'd wanted something like that in NPP++ for quite a while, so I'm not complaining, just seeing if I've made it format the date like that.

Thanks for any help.

• cchris

cchris - 2011-11-13

For both giaco75 and xqf6kxd8g2bmxkw :
    Does the problem still arise when you rename the plugin folder? If it doesn't, hen some plugin is doing mischief, and you'll have to enable them one by one to find out which.
    If the problem is still there, can you provide details on your OS version?

CChris

• decrepit old geekoid

Hi, CChris. The problem only happened with the initial running of NPP++ immediately after the upgrade to Notepad++ 5.9.6.1.

What I've just noticed, however, in the reference to "svchost1.exe is in: C:\Users\?????\AppData\Roaming\win32 svchost2.exe is in: C:\Users\?????\AppData\Local\Temp\win32" is that these are the names and locations of some files I was having a very hard time with a month or more ago! Those are the file names and locations of some malware I had. I do not know why NPP++ would make reference to them, especially since they're long gone.

This is a bit of a puzzlement. NPP++ doesn't use any files of that name, does it?

I guess I should make my request about ISO 8601 formatting in the dates elsewhere in the forum.

And the xqf6kxd8g2bmxkw name was supposed to be something else when I signed up. The name I'd wanted posted with everything is more descriptive, and so I'll sign this past at the bottom.

decrepit old geekoid

• cchris

cchris - 2011-11-14

TextFX's Insert date supports so called short format with 4 digits only.
    How about running a good anyi-malware first? Spybot SnD isn't too shabby.

CChris