LiVES mixes realtime video performance and non-linear editing in one professional quality application. It is designed to be simple to use, yet powerful. It is small in size, yet it has many advanced features.
Using LiVES, you can start editing and making video right away, without having to worry about formats, frame sizes, or framerates. It is a very flexible tool which is used by both professional VJ's and video editors - mix and switch clips from the keyboard, use dozens of realtime effects, trim and edit your clips in the clip editor, and bring them together using the multitrack timeline. You can even record your performance in real time, and then edit it further or render it straight away.
For the more technically minded, the application is frame and sample accurate, and it can be controlled remotely or scripted for use as a video server. And it supports all of the latest free standards.
- Frame and sample accurate editing
- Edit video in realtime or non-realtime
- Works with almost any type of video
- Fully extendable through plugins
- Can be controlled via keyboard, joystick, MIDI or remote network (OSC compatible)
- Integration with pulse audio and jack audio
- Dozens of video effects, both rendered and realtime
- Compatible with various effects framworks: projectM, frei0r, libvisual and LADSPA audio
- Instant previews
- Unlimited video and audio tracks in multitrack mode
- Encoding to over 50 different video types
- Ultra fast save/restore for projects in progress
- Full crash recovery
- VJ keyboard control during playback
- Mix clips and apply effects during playback, as well as changing the speed and direction of play
- Fully multithreaded / multi core for both playback and rendering
This is just about the most horrid package it's been mu misfortune to ever discover. The whole thing configures successfully, compiles without a single error, and installs.
What di I think of Lives? It's a PoS that gives Linux a very bad name. Used LiVES-1.3.3, and then the thing suddenly stops working giving an error: "error loading /usr/lib/lives/plugins/effects/realtime/weed/fourKlives.so". Tried recompiling, but that doesn't fix this. I refuse to reinstall the entire $#@^! op-sys to try to get this running again when it didn't work very well even when it did tun. Don't tell me to try the newest version: been there; done that. That one has code so broken it won't get past compiling main.c, complaining about undefined values. You're not paying me to fix your fscked up code. Don't waste your time, t'aint worth it.