LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control README.
Copyright (C) 1996 Ralph Metzler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Copyright (C) 1998-2010 Christoph Bartelmus <email@example.com>
Copyright (C) 2010-2011 Jarod Wilson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
(according to GNU General Public Licence 2.0 or later)
This is the README file for LIRC, the Linux Infrared Remote Control
package. The main documentation of this package is available in HTML
Updated versions of lirc is available using the website http://lirc.org.
Last version: 0.9.3
Build and install.
More complete build and install instructions are available in the
manual, the Installation chapter. The fast track:
$ sudo make install
If you are upgrading from an older version of LIRC take a look at the
NEWS file which contains all user visible changes between releases.
From the top:
- New build dependency: xsltproc (sometimes coming with libxml).
- The irexec semantics have been changed so that the invoked
programs run disconnected from the main irexec process.
See irexec(1) (#92).
- irrecord has got some love:
- It handles multiple definitions of same symbol OK (#78)
- Warns about single-key config files (#77)
- Checks for ambient light disturbances (#76)
- New option allows updating of existing template file.
- Template handling bug fixed
- -l --list-namespace option parsing bug fixed (#101).
- Minor fixes to irrecord-ui including -k option parsing fixed.
- mode2 has been updated
- Handle also LIRCCODE devices (#94),
- Drop root privileges (#91)
- Add new scope-like display
- Handle the--driver-options switch
- xmode2 has been updated to handle udp driver, the new
--driver-options switch + some general overhaul.
- irrecord has been split into a library and a cli interface
(#36). The library interface is unstable.
- irtoy: New support for debug LEDs. New documentation
file, support in lirc-setup and driver table doc added.
- The udp driver is patched to allow adjustable clockrates,
see new udp_driver.html driver doc.
- The mplay driver has been updated with patches which has
been available "out there".
- The select() calls in lircd, lircrcd and library routines have
been replaced with poll() to avoid crashes when file descriptors
becomes > 1024 (#109).
- Set supplementary groups using effective-user (RH bz 1253907).
- Work around kernel bug in /dev/lirc0 output (#119).
- lircmd: Several option parsing bugs fixed, one of which
blocked the systemd service (#104, RH bz 1234155).
- lirc-lsremotes now displays logs after parsing files, making
more parsing warnings visible.
- lirc-config-tool is fixed to comply with guidelines (#105).
- Bug in irexec when using modes fixed (#102).
- Create log directory if required (#124).
- lirc-setup: Fixed name clash on recent python versions.
- The library routines for parsing lircd.conf now warns for
duplicate keys and values (#107).
- Enhanced pkg-config support for drivers compiled out-of-tree
(see driver-api in the manual).
- Unlinked and hard to find driver docs and manpages have
- The documentation is heavily revised. Old obsolete text is
removed, the manual is reorganized, some info is moved to
manpages and a lot of minor updates and bugfixes.
Build and testing
- The compiler has been switched to c++, and filenames are
updated to *.cpp (#79)
- The lircd.simsend and lircd.simreceive tools have been removed,
superseeded by irsimsend and irsimreceive.
- A new kernel driver irpipe has been added. This allows feeding data
from userspace to lircd, which can use the /dev/irpipeX device
as a clean substitute for /dev/lircX. A companion CLI tool
irpipe(1) is also added.
- Options parsing (notably -U) and just listing first remote
bugs in irsimsend have been fixed.
- Overall code formatting is improved with more consistent
layout and updated git hook. See CONTRIBUTE.md'
- Build: now uses parallel make by default.
- Hardcoded CFLAGS in Makefiles fixed (#124).