Lios is a free and open source software for converting print in to text using either scanner or a camera, It can also produce text out of scanned images from other sources such as Pdf, Image, Folder containing Images or screenshot. Program is given total accessibility for visually impaired. Lios is written in python3, and we release it under GPL-3 license. There are great many possibilities for this program, Feedback is the key to it, Expecting your feedback.
Forum : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lios
Video Tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn29o8rxtRe1zS1r2-yGm1DNMOZCgdU0i
Source Code : https://gitlab.com/Nalin-x-Linux/lios-3
User guide is available in download page
- Import images from Scanner, PDFs, Folder, or Webcam,
- Take and Recognize Screenshot,
- Recognize Selected Areas(Rectangle selection),
- Support two OCR Engines (Cuneiform,Tesseract),
- 24 Language support (Given at the end), 30 more languages can be installed in Tesseract,
- Full Auto Rotation for any Language(If aspell installed for the language, Eg : "sudo apt-get install aspell-hi" for Hindi,
- Side by side view of image and output
- Advanced Scanner Brightness optimizer
- Text Reader for low vision with Highlighting, With user selected Color, Font, and Background Color,
- Audio converter(espeak),
- Export as pdf (text/images),
- Dictionary Support for English(Artha)
- Options for save, load and reset settings,
- 15. Other options - Find, Find-and-Replace, Go-To-Page, Go-To-Line, Append file, Punch File, Selection of starting page number, page numbering mode and number of pages to scan, Selection of Scan area, brightness, resolution and time between repeated scanning, Output Insert position, image rotation and zoom options, etc
:) Thanx for the software. I use croatian language, Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux). Instead "-", it writes me "â€”". I would like to disable sound. When I want to select part or whole text, I do not see any changes (different background) and this is confuseing. And the bottom line is very annoing - it is red and always goes left-right. Stop it, please! ;) That are my suggestions. Thank you.
Using Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux) The program has nice features and has the potential to be a great program. The voice function is nearly uninteligible and sounds like the voice has a bad cold. I have been unable to save to file. The instructions need to be expanded rather than just list what the program can do. A user's forum would be helpful.