Lios is a free and open source software for converting print in to text using either scanner or a camera, It can also produce text out of scanned images from other sources such as Pdf, Image, Folder containing Images or screenshot. Program is given total accessibility for visually impaired. A Tesseract Trainer GUI is also shipped with this package.
Forum : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lios
Video Tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn29o8rxtRe1zS1r2-yGm1DNMOZCgdU0i
Tesseract Training Tutorial (beta) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpCld4cdtk
Github : https://github.com/Nalin-x-Linux/lios-3
Gitlab : https://gitlab.com/Nalin-x-Linux/lios-3
User guide is available in download page
- Import images from Scanner, PDFs, Folder, or Webcam,
- Take and Recognize Screenshot,
- Recognize Selected Areas(Rectangle selection),
- Support two OCR Engines (Cuneiform,Tesseract),
- Tesseract-Trainer - Train your tesseract ocr engine to improve the accuracy
- Full Auto Rotation for any Language(If aspell installed for the language, Eg : "sudo apt-get install aspell-hi" for Hindi,
- Side by side view of image and output
- Advanced Scanner Brightness optimizer
- Text Reader for low vision with Highlighting, With user selected Color, Font, and Background Color,
- Audio converter(espeak),
- Export as pdf (text/images),
- Dictionary Support for English(Artha)
- Options for save, load and reset settings,
- Text-Cleaner - Post process your output with match-replace dialog
- Other options - Find, Find-and-Replace, Go-To-Page, Go-To-Line, Append file, Punch File, Selection of starting page number, page numbering mode and number of pages to scan, Selection of Scan area, brightness, resolution and time between repeated scanning, Output Insert position, image rotation and zoom options, etc
Pretty good software - a little clunky, but the online YouTube Tutorial videos help out a lot. Very flexible, works well with Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. Also available in the Ubuntu Software Store.
Thanks for the software, It also doesn't allow me to choose a scanner if I have multiple sources. Takes a while to set the scanner device, but shows some promise. However I can't get it to set up my Card Scan 800c which works with Sane
:) Thanx for the software. I use croatian language, Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux). Instead "-", it writes me "â€”". I would like to disable sound. When I want to select part or whole text, I do not see any changes (different background) and this is confuseing. And the bottom line is very annoing - it is red and always goes left-right. Stop it, please! ;) That are my suggestions. Thank you.
Using Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux) The program has nice features and has the potential to be a great program. The voice function is nearly uninteligible and sounds like the voice has a bad cold. I have been unable to save to file. The instructions need to be expanded rather than just list what the program can do. A user's forum would be helpful.