KeePass Password Safe is a free, open source, lightweight, and easy-to-use password manager for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, with ports for Android, iPhone/iPad and other mobile devices. With so many passwords to remember and the need to vary passwords to protect your valuable data, it’s nice to have KeePass to manage your passwords in a secure way. KeePass puts all your passwords in a highly encrypted database and locks them with one master key or a key file. As a result, you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. And the databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known, AES and Twofish. See our features page for details.
- Strong security (AES encryption, SHA-256 hash, protection against dictionary and guessing attacks, in-memory protection, ...).
- Portable (no installation required), available for many platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, smart devices/phones, ...).
- Efficient and flexible organization (entry groups, tags, time fields, file attachments, ...).
- Various data transfer methods (clipboard, drag and drop, auto-type, plugins can provide integration with other applications, ...).
- Powerful password generator (generation based on character sets and patterns, with many options).
- Extensible (plugin architecture) and multi-language (more than 40 languages are available).
KeePass at a GlanceYou can easily download KeePass for Windows and you can port it on a USB stick for most other operating systems. The interface is as busy as it is robust. For example, KeePass supports password groups for sorting passwords. You can drag and drop passwords into most windows or use a hot key to type your login information into windows automatically. You can also quick copy user names and passwords to the clipboard with a double-click on a field in the password list. And KeePass can import data from a variety of formats like CSV, while the password list can be exported to formats such as TXT, HTML, XML, and CSV.
Product DetailsHere is a detailed breakdown of KeePass’s features:
- Strong security—KeePass uses AES encryption to encrypt its password databases, SHA-256 password hash, protection against dictionary and guessing attacks, in-memory protection, and more.
- Portable—KeePass is portable, carry it on a USB stick and run it or directly install it on Windows if you prefer desktop access.
- Easy Database Transfer—A password database, consisting of a single file, is easy to transfer between computers.
- Multiple user keys—Use a master password to decrypt the complete database or carry a key file with you.
- Powerful password generator—KeePass generates passwords based on character sets and patterns, with many options.
- Extensible—KeePass provides plugin architecture for advanced features and supports over 40 languages.
|KeePass has a powerful password generator and is available with multi-factor authentication, and it can handle non-standard login sequences. Plugins provide advanced features.||KeePass takes a while to warm up to, with its feature-filled interface that might confuse some beginners, but a help center is available to assist you as you find your way around.|
- Version: 2.29
- File size: 2.5 MB
- Date added: April 10, 2015
- Operating systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android mobile devices, and more.
Rate This ProjectLogin To Rate This Project
The best password manager application.
I've been a long time user of KeePass. It is simple, reliable and fast. Usually I open the program and with the cursor already placed in the search field, type a few characters to quickly find what I need amidst hundreds of entries. I also use this as a simple database for home equipment maintenance. I create entries for the lawn tractor and keep data on normal use parts to save time when maintenance is needed. I enjoy that you need not have this in the cloud. I want it centralized on a home server, where I can get to the database from any machine I own. One last thought - I could probably create a functional application myself, but this guy, Dominick Reichl, provides us a very good product at no cost. I periodically send him some funds through PayPal. Michael
Synced my database file on my Google Drive account across multiple devices. This thing makes my life at ease and peaceful. Also have this on my usb (portable ver.) and on my mobile
Best password manager, from security conscious developers who are always up to date in their field. Easy to use, smart detection of sync conflicts, and has versions for other platforms. What's not to love?