jGnash is a cross platform personal finance application written in Java. jGnash is a double entry system with support for multiple currencies. jGnash can import OFX and QIF files.
- Double Entry Accounting with reconciliation tools
- Budgeting with multiple scenario options and export to spreadsheet capability
- Investment Accounts and automatic import of Stocks, Bond, and Funds price history
- Nestable accounts with automatic rollup of totals and intelligent handling of mixed currencies
- OFX, QFX, mt940, and QIF import capabilities
- Reminders and automatic transaction entry and notifications
- Intelligent handling of multiple currencies and exchange rates with automatic online exchange rate updates
- Printable reports with PDF and spreadsheet export capability
- XML and relational database file formats
- Operates on any main-stream PC operating system
never even got to use it, can't get past the date import problem. ERROR! to many characters in date. if it can't handle a standard date format 1/2//2017 i doubt Id have much luck with anything else.
For my personal finances this was more than adequate. I didn't have to go through any lengthy documentation to learn this program. It's fairly intuitive. And it got the job done for my taxes last year. There were a couple of bugs (or "fleas") that made data entry slower than necessary. I wish the textbox fields would automatically highlight when tabbing from one field to the next so I don't have to delete the field contents before typing. The date field is too strict on having a two-digit month (US format).
I have been using jGnash for over 8 years. I find it perfect for my limited needs in tracking various small payments and issuing monthly PDF statements. It is reliable and simple to use, maintain and upgrade. Backup is done automatically at the end of every session. I only once had to restore following corruption (if I recall correctly it was years ago and due to a power outage) and it was quite easy to do. In summary, excellent package, thanks for producing and maintaining it.
Went to import QIF file, doesn't recognize qif files (wants to open other types), manually tried to open QIF file... failure.
Easy to understand and not overloaded. Flexible account management. All possible money operations covered. I work with jgnash over a year and I think it's the best free tool for home finance.