A feature-rich dictionary lookup program, supporting multiple dictionaries' formats, perfect article rendering with the complete markup, illustrations and other content retained, and allowing to type in words without any accents or correct case.
- Use of WebKit for an accurate articles' representation, complete with all formatting, colors, images and links.
- Support of multiple dictionary file formats: Babylon .BGL, StarDict .ifo/.dict./.idx/.syn, dictd .index/.dict(.dz), ABBYY Lingvo .dsl
- Support for Wikipedia, Wiktionary, or any other MediaWiki-based sites to perform lookups in.
- Ability to use arbitrary websites as dictionaries via templated Url patterns.
- Hunspell-based morphology system, used for word stemming and spelling suggestions.
- Ability to index arbitrary directories with audio files for pronunciation lookups.
- Full Unicode case, diacritics, punctuation and whitespace folding. This means the ability to type in words without any accents, correct case, punctuation or spaces (e.g. typing 'Grussen' would yield 'grüßen' in German dictionaries).
- Scan popup functionality. A small window pops up with the translation of a word chosen from another application.
- Support for global hotkeys. You can spawn the program window at any point, or directly translate a word from the clipboard.
- Tabbed browsing in a modern Qt 4 interface.
- Cross-platform: Linux/X11 and Windows + portable to others.
- Free software: GNU GPLv3+ license.
More than 10 years ago, I invested several hundred EUR in many dictionaries in a Windows only software. Thanks to Golden Dict, this investment is not lost, I use this dictionaries now on my Linux Ubuntu notebook.
I would like to be able to switch between different dictionaries result, like in Lingoes. Thanks!
Best dictionary ever!
When tring to access Wikipedia (any wikipedia) I got the following error: "Query error: XML parse error: unexpected end of file at 1,1". I comunicated this problem to the author via e-mail, no answer yet Also the program is not showing any pictures from the dictionaries. It´s a shame because apart from this these faults it seems a very promising piece of software. The OS of the computer used to try the program was the Windows 7 Home 64 bits version.