Jump to: navigation <#column-one>, search <#searchInput>
* 1 Gnucash OSX for Intel <#Gnucash_OSX_for_Intel>
o 1.1 Prerequisites: <#Prerequisites:>
o 1.2 Installation: <#Installation:>
+ 1.2.1 Installing Finance::Quote
o 1.3 Documentation: <#Documentation:>
o 1.4 Known Issues: <#Known_Issues:>
o 1.5 OSX Changes in 2.3.14 <#OSX_Changes_in_2.3.14>
o 1.6 OSX Changes in 2.3.13 <#OSX_Changes_in_2.3.13>
o 1.7 OSX Changes in 2.3.12 <#OSX_Changes_in_2.3.12>
o 1.8 OSX Changes in 2.3.11 <#OSX_Changes_in_2.3.11>
o 1.9 OSX Fixes in 126.96.36.199 <#OSX_Fixes_in_188.8.131.52>
o 1.10 There are no OSX Changes in 2.3.10
o 1.11 OSX Changes in 2.3.9 <#OSX_Changes_in_2.3.9>
o 1.12 OSX Changes in 2.3.8 <#OSX_Changes_in_2.3.8>
o 1.13 License and Included Binaries:
Gnucash OSX for Intel
*WARNING WARNING WARNING*
/*This is an unstable build. It is for testing, not production use. Make
sure you make backups of any files used in testing versions of GnuCash
in the 2.3.x series. Although the developers go to great lengths to
ensure that no data will be lost we cannot guarantee that your data will
not be affected if for some reason GnuCash crashes in testing these
This build for Intel X86-based Macs requires MacOSX 10.5 (Leopard) or
MacOSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard). It will not work on 10.4 (Tiger) because
some of the libraries on which it depends now use features introduced in
If you are upgrading from a version of Gnucash older than 2.3.9, please
run the "Update Dirs" application in the dmg. This will convert your
online banking setup to work with the new version of AqBanking and will
copy your .gnucash directory to the more Mac-appropriate
Simply drag Gnucash.app to the Applications folder (or anywhere else you
When you first open GnuCash.app, it will create a link from the bundle
Resources folder to /Library/Gnucash-2.3.x. It will do this
automatically, and no authentication is required.
You can easily install Finance::Quote by double-clicking the
"FinanceQuote Update" applet in the dmg.
You'll need to have Developer Tools (Tiger or Leopard) or XCode (Snow
Leopard) installed. It's available as an optional install on your
Both the Gnucash Help system and the Gnucash Guide are provided in HTML
format. They will open in your default browser when you select the
appropriate item in the Help menu. Appropriate sections of help will be
similarly opened when you click on a Help button in a dialog box.
* Gnucash is not a native Mac application: It is a Gtk+ application
which has been recompiled to run on OSX. Accordingly, some
features to which Mac users are accustomed aren't supported. Some
of these are non-menu-based keyboard shortcuts (key bindings; you
can adjust them as you like in the gtkrc file), input methods, and
* An instance of dbus is started by the application startup script,
but dbus isn't designed to be run that way, so it doesn't shut
down when you close the application. There's also no way at
present for a new run of Gnucash to find already-running instances
of dbus. This doesn't cause any real problems, but it is a
resource leak. There's a bit of the launcher script which tries to
find previous instances of dbus-daemon and kill them, but it's
fragile. You can periodically clean out the running dbus-daemons
by either issuing "killall dbus-daemon" at a command line or by
telling it to quit from /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.
* The conversion of Macintosh default locale to Gtk+ is a bit
primitive, and while the gnucash translation files are included,
you may encounter messages from other libraries which aren't
* Some users have reported menus in the wrong language (usually
Japanese). This is caused by gnucash not being able to retrieve
the correct default language from OSX. It can be fixed by opening
System Prefrences>International (or Language & Text on Snow
Leopard) and changing something, then changing it back. It doesn't
really matter what you change. A note on languages: Gnucash (all
of Gtk, actually) uses Gnu gettext for retrieving translations. It
doesn't do preferred languages, so it will get locale information
from the formats tab in the International/Languages and Texts
panel of System Preferences.
* The placement of dialog boxes which are displayed before the main
window is a bit strange. The "Tip of the Day" dialog box will
appear behind and a bit offset from the splash screen, and will be
warped off the screen when the main window opens. The "Since last
run" dialog box, used by Scheduled Transactions, will display in
the center of the screen and then be hidden behind the main
window. Use Exposé to find it.
* Note that Gnucash demands a few things that Finance::Quote doesn't
in order to get quotes. Use the FinanceQuote Update applet
included with Gnucash to make sure that your Finance::Quote
installation is correct and current.
* As of Gnucash 2.3.9, Gnucash's configuration files are in
$HOME/Library/Application Support/Gnucash instead of
$HOME/.gnucash so that they're visible with Finder. GConf and
AQBanking still have their configuration files in $HOME/.gconf,
$HOME/.gconfd, and $HOME/.aqbanking (Note that 2.3.8 and previous
used an older version of aqbanking which kept its config files in
* The only libdbi module included is for SQLite. If you need either
the MySQL or Postgresql modules, you will have to build them
yourself and install them into
OSX Changes in 2.3.14
* Cut, Copy, and Paste now work in the register pages!
* The untranslated strings in the Gnucash and Window menus have been
mostly translated, though there are a couple of languages missing
because Google Translation doesn't know them. If yours is one of
them, by all means send me a translation (UTF-16, please) and I'll
add it in.
* The change to the new menu integration routines meant that the
menu accelerators were no longer changed from using the control
key to using the command key. This is corrected, so Mac users will
find their familiar accelerators.
*The latest version is 184.108.40.206.*
*220.127.116.11* Fixed an editing error in Resources/etc/gnucash/environment:
The last line should be commented out, like the rest.
*18.104.22.168* Fixed a naming error in
Resources/share/gnucash/glade/commodity.glade, at line 684: The id
should be namespace_cbe, not namespace_cbe1.
*22.214.171.124* Fixed a layout bug in aqbanking that caused the bank settings
to not display when setting up or editing an account in the aqbanking
*126.96.36.199* Fixed a bug in the gtkselection implementation which caused a
crash when after copying from one register page one closed that page and
attempted to copy from another page.
OSX Changes in 2.3.13
* The menu bugs have been fixed, but there are untranslated strings
from the integration library. This will be corrected soon.
* Help is fixed.
OSX Changes in 2.3.12
* Printing works!
* WebKit is upgraded to 188.8.131.52, the current psuedo-stable release.
OSX Changes in 2.3.11
* Finder aliases have been replaced with Unix relative symbolic
links in FinanceQuote Update.app and Update Dirs.app. This should
correct problems with the full paths in the aliases not being
correctly updated during moves, but it means that if you copy them
out of the .dmg, they need to reside in the same folder as
Gnucash.app. They will run from the .dmg, and there's really no
reason to copy Update Dirs.app anyway; it needs to be run exactly
once, and only if you're upgrading from 2.3.8 or 2.2.9.
* WebKit is upgraded to its quasi-stable 184.108.40.206 revision.
OSX Fixes in 220.127.116.11
* Fixed alias problem with Update Dirs.app
* Fixed 2 quoting problems in the launcher-script which generated
errors when Gnucash.app is in a path with spaces.
* Provide for creating the "prefix" link with administrative privs
when the user isn't an admin and therefore doesn't have write
privs in /Library.
There are no OSX Changes in 2.3.10
OSX Changes in 2.3.9
* Gnucash will now run from paths which include spaces.
* The Gnucash configuration files are now stored in
$HOME/Library/Application Support/Gnucash instead of
$HOME/.gnucash. This allows them to be seen with Finder and edited
* AqBanking and Gwenhywfar are updated to far more recent versions
from the ancient versions previously included. This requires
updating any aqbanking configuration files.
* These changes require running Update Dirs.app, located in the DMG,
to migrate to this version from Gnucash 2.3.8 or Gnucash 2.2.9.
* There is a convenient applet provided to install/update
* Newer versions of Gtk+ libraries should provide slightly better
OSX Changes in 2.3.8
* Gwenhywfar plugins are now in the bundle (Thanks to Frank
Beslmeisl for pointing this out).
* Hardcoded paths to perl libraries have been removed, so
Finance::Quote installation will work even if you don't have the
same perl version installed on your system that was used for the
* Updated versions of Gtk+ and dependencies are used, correcting
display problems on some dialog boxes.
License and Included Binaries:
Gnucash is licensed under the Gnu General Public License Version 2, a
copy of which can be found in the file LICENSE in this directory and in
each bundle's Contents folder. There is also a file "Sources" which
lists the several libraries included in the bundle upon which Gnucash
depends along with their home webpages where you may find more licensing
information and source downloads. A few of the libraries require patches
to compile on OSX; all of those patches have been submitted as bugs to
the respective libraries, but you'll find them at
http://github.com/jralls/gnucash-on-osx/patches if you're really curious.
Retrieved from "http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme"
* Page </wiki/MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme>
* Edit </wiki/index.php?title=MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme&action=edit>
* History </wiki/index.php?title=MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme&action=history>
* Watch </wiki/index.php?title=MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme&action=watch>
* Jralls </wiki/User:Jralls>
* My talk </wiki/User_talk:Jralls>
* My preferences </wiki/Special:Preferences>
* My watchlist </wiki/Special:Watchlist>
* My contributions </wiki/Special:Contributions/Jralls>
* Log out
* GnuCash </wiki/GnuCash>
* GnuCash Website <http://www.gnucash.org/>
* Recent changes </wiki/Special:RecentChanges>
* Help </wiki/Help:Contents>
* sitesupport <http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=192>
* GnuCash Trac <http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/>
* What links here </wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme>
* Related changes
* Special pages </wiki/Special:SpecialPages>
* Printable version
* Permanent link </wiki/index.php?title=MacOSX/2.3.14/Readme&oldid=6407>
Powered by MediaWiki <http://www.mediawiki.org/>
GNU Free Documentation License 1.2 <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html>
* This page was last modified on 18 June 2010, at 02:37.
* This page has been accessed 87 times.
* Content is available under GNU Free Documentation License 1.2
* About GnuCash </wiki/GnuCash:About>
* Disclaimers </wiki/GnuCash:General_disclaimer>