A cross-platform Bible application for the Linux & Windows communities.
Xiphos is no longer developed at SF; the SVN tree has been locked, the mailing lists are disabled, and we have moved to GitHub. Please see https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos.
Releases up to 4.0.4 are present here. From 4.0.5 onward, see GitHub.
- Fully integrated, tabbed interface for Bible/commentary/dictionary
- User content support: hierarchical bookmarks, personal verse annotations, journals, prayer lists
- Power search capability; footnotes and xrefs; detached windows; text-to-speech support
- Strong's and morphology support, including pseudo-interlinear
- Linux and Windows (XP & later) platforms with active support in IRC and mailing lists
Firstly I had to turn antivirus of as it saw Xiphos as malicious. Secondly I did not manage to get as far as reading the bible. My language (finnish) was not found through online scan. The program did not recognize the downloaded zip file. Finally I decided to settle for an english bible but still the program stated that I chose not to install any bibles. Usability of this program makes me wanna cry.
If ONLY the bible, dictionary and commentary windows were tabbed so you can just click the tab to switch between bibles, dictionaries, commentaries I WOULD BE FREE FROM RUNNING WINE FOREVER! Right now I have to suffer through e-Sword and The Word in WINE. So close!!! Hate to give a thumbs down for this but it really slows things down when you have to use the "everything" tree.
This is good software when it works. 3.1.4 is broken on debian arm and no one responds in irc and there is no forum or email help. If you are lucky enough to have it working on your machine it's a great program. Please fix 3.1.4 on debian arm.