RELEASE 9.5 (2010/11/07)
- Fixed level 8 of babyshapes. The makefile was missing all the images
for this level. I reworked the files so that they lie in the
resource directory instead of subdirectories.
- New hangman activity. Icon is a a modified one from Mathieu's icon
set. The cute background is based on a drawing Franck Doucet made
for our bargame activity. This activity uses our
default-<locale>.xml files to propose words to the children. It is
thus very important now to have them properly filled. For now I did
the work for English and French. Translators, please refer to this
page for instructions: http://gcompris.net/wiki/Translation_addons
- Added details activity by Marc Levivier. In the spirit of famous
painting discovery, in this activity the painting is complete and
the children must put painting parts on the right places.
- New feature in the chat activity. The user has a shared white boards
now. This has been developped by Fionn Ziegler.
- First release of an in progress tool that converts wiktionary xml
dumps in an xml file. For now, it works only for French, this page
tracks the progress: http://gcompris.net/wiki/Wiktionary_to_XML The
idea behind this is to get an xml formatted dictionnary to create
new activities in the reading / writing area. For now this is just
not used in GCompris.
- In planegame now the numbers are spoken when the plane hit the
- Added missing configuration button in several activites where it
makes sense. Now teachers / children can set force uppercase in
click on letter, falling wards, falling letter, horizontal/vertical
reading. Thanks to Luciana from sleducacional.org
- Added missing level for photohunter by Marc Levivier
- Added the option --disable-level. Some teacher want to be sure the
children don't skip a level.
- Now the click on letter activity can be played also with the keybord.
This has been suggested by Sini Ruohomaa.
- Fixed reference to tuxpaint dataset. Now we display saved tuxpaint
images in our image selector again. Thanks to the person in
Latinoware 2010 who reported me that this feature has been lost.
- The configuration of the 'missing letter' activity was not working for UTF-8
multibyte characters (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=633978)
Added a tooltip to better explain the different fields.
- Refined the sudoku's level for scholl usage (By Sylvain Dechy).
- Changed the difficulty level of the maze activity to make it more
usable in classrooms. (By Sylvain Dechy)
- Fixed activity 'double entry' for level 3. References to voices were
wrong, this level was not playable.
- Fixed bug in which some buttons are no more displayed like in the
help and the ok buttons in the dialogs (happens on Ubuntu 10.10) No
more use my autocrop feature in goocanvas. It no more works for an
unknown reason but it is not very useful, we can live without it. I
ported GCompris to no more use it.
- Added the command line option --nocursor (-C). As its name implies,
GCompris won't show any visible cursor. This is very useful to touch
- Added missing words list for Ukranian, Esperanto and Hebrew. There
were not properly packaged (they need to be completed anyway).
- Now hide the bar in shapegame activities when the focus is on the ok
button we now show the title and info items. This let the children
have a complete view of the painting.
- Fixed gc_file_find_absolute() to better parse long and short locale.
Now a 3 letter locale like 'ast' is supported. Added support for
locale Fixed a startup issue. Our gc_file_find_absolute() was without
- A few fixes to better manage locale especially in click_on_letter to
properly display the locale to search if its not a 2 letter prefix
like for asturian (locale=ast).
- Replaced paintings considered not children proof by new one (By Marc
- Added -O2 flag instead of debug in our compilation chain by
default. Without it we crashes on macosx EXC_ARITHMETIC in a g_malloc
in sound init.
- Removed the flying plane in the about dialog. This removes the
need for an extra .png of our logo. Now we have our logo in the
main window when we start it.
- Integrated the gcompris and fsf logo in our skin.svg file Modified
the code to use the logo from there.
- Avoid compilation issue in debug mode in gnuchess.
- Added basic instructions to compile GCompris on MacOSX.
- Updated translation instructions for our word list xml files.
- Fixed activation code. Was broken on windows.
- Allow deprecated flag for gtk and gdk to compile again against gtk
- Added an explicit sound_close when we exit. The patch comes from
- Added a toolitp in superbrain activity to make it easy to understand
what a white or black square means.
- Added the method gcompris.get_random_word(wordlist, level) on the
- Fixed references to african country for the voices to no more have
them in a separate directory.
- Added author information for each paintings by Marc Levivier.
- Added the info tag in shape based activity. An info tag is exactly
the same as a title tag except that is is displayed only when the
level is completed and the mouse enters the OK button.
- Improved documentation of the sound API documentation (python doc)
- Support GNUCHESS environment variable Will be useful in 0install
environment when GnuChess is installed from 0install feed.
- Support GNUCAP environment variable Will be useful in 0install
environment when GnuCap is installed from 0install feed.
- Fix sqlite-less build by Aleksey Lim
- Fixes bug#619433 in the chess game, we no more display the turn at
- Removed the help button in the administration where we don't have
- Improved our shape based activities so that titles entries are
raised when the focus enters the OK button. It allows the children to
see the name of the painting even if it is displayed under it.
- Improved the python template activity to have an hello world. For
info, this page explains how to add an activity:
- Created a new script utility named createit.sh. It creates a new
empty activity with the given name (only python activity).
- Pass NULL as last goo_canvas_image_new's argument. May be fixes some
- Fixed es.po, no more translate keywords in es.po
- In shapegame activities, now the xml format does accept
'targetfile=""' to remove the red dot.
- Added the number of activities in the main menu view.
- No more check for pysqlite2 unless installed python is 2.4
- Fixed status bar call crashing in command line mode like for
gcompris -l list.
- README.translators updated to reflect new file organisation.
- Added a message in GCompris itself when we fail to load the skin.
Before, when the skin file was not found, which means GCompris is
not properly installed or configured, there was an assert and
nothing was explained to the user. Now there is a message in the
- Now the 'createit.sh <my activity>' script used to create a new
activity no more requires you to run make. You can just test your
activity by calling it with 'runit.sh <my activity>'
- Now the text color is black in the memory cards. In white it was
hard to read.
- Remade the background image of ball catch, paraglider, helicopter.
- New voice set for Slovenian by Saša Batistič
- Alan Monfort (br)
- Aleksey Lim (es)
- Andrej Žnidaršič (sl)
- Bruno Brouard (fr)
- Christian Kirbach (de)
- Fran Diéguez (gl)
- Frederico Goncalves Guimaraes (pt_BR)
- Gabor Kelemen (hu)
- Giannis Kaskamanidis (el)
- Gonçalo Cordeiro (gl)
- Inaki Larranaga Murgoitio (eu)
- Joe Hansen (da)
- Jorge González (es)
- Karl Ove Hufthammer (nn)
- Mantas Kriaučiūnas (lt)
- Marek Černocký (cs)
- Mario Blättermann (de)
- Petr Kovar (cs)
- Reuma Mordechai (he)
- Xandru Armesto (ast)
- Yannis Kaskamanidis (el)