A routine for converting GALPROP-generated HealPix skymaps to a compatible format which can be plotted by Aladin (v7), available from CDS at http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr. This allows free rotation of the sphere, avoiding the distortions of Aitoff and other projections often used. It is a very practical way to view and prepare skymap plots of GALPROP output.
GALPROP outputs a spectrum per HealPix pixel, while Aladin requires each energy to be stored as a column. A conversion is required to make GALPROP skymaps viewable in Aladin.
This program performs this conversion, outputs both the original energy bins and energy-integrated spectra, and in addition convolves with a user-defined Gaussian both in energy bins and energy-integrated. Also outputs the spherical harmonic decomposition as HealPix, per energy bin. There is also an option to divide by a second HealPix file, for example to give intensity if file 1 is counts and file 2 is exposure, to give intensity.
Now also converts back.
- The GALPROP cosmic-ray propagation software (http://galprop.stanford.edu) outputs skymaps in a format using HealPix, which however cannot be displayed with viewers like Aladin. This program converts to a standard HealPix format which can be viewed and used for other purposes.
- Instructions for compilation and usage are given in the file header.
- Bug reports, suggestions for enhancements etc, are welcome.
- New 27 Sept 2013: program to convert back to the old format as well. Useful for analysis software which uses the vector format while Fermi Science Tools produces the column format. See healpix_skymap_convert_bothways.cc. This also adds the energy information in a FITS extension, unlike healpix_skymap_convert.cc.
- healpix_skymap_convert_bothways.cc can convert both ways, the format is automatically detected and converted to the other format.
- see also http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~aws/propagate.html
- New 21 Nov 2013: healpix_skymap_convert_bothways.cc v2: more robust detection of input file format
- New 27 Nov 2013: healpix_skymap_convert_bothways.cc v3 correct input units for Fermi Science Tools counts files
- New 04 Dec 2013: for both files: instructions for use with HEALPix v3.11 (as well as v2.20a)
- For GALPROP updates see https://sourceforge.net/projects/galprop
- GALPLOT plotting package https://sourceforge.net/projects/galplot requires these conversions when using Fermi data processed with Fermi Science Tools
Be the first to post a review of galprop_skymap_convert!