by Werner Lemberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This project provides a library which takes a TrueType font as the input,
removes its bytecode instructions (if any), and returns a new font where all
glyphs are bytecode hinted using the information given by FreeType's
auto-hinting module. The idea is to provide the excellent quality of the
auto-hinter on platforms which don't use FreeType.
The library has a single API function, `TTF_autohint'; see
`lib/ttfautohint.h' for a detailed description. Note that the library
itself won't get installed currently.
A command-line interface to the library is the `ttfautohint' program; after
compilation and installation, say
for usage information, or say
to read its manual page.
A GUI to the library is `ttfautohintGUI'; it uses the Qt4 framework. The
compilation of this application can be disabled with the `--without-qt'
option of the `configure' script.
Version 1.3 (2015-Jan-06)
* Keywords in control instruction files can be more verbose to increase
readability. You can now use `left`, `right`, `nodir`, `point`, `touch`,
`xshift`, and `yshift` for `l`, `r`, `n`, `p`, `t, `x`, and `y`,
* A new control instruction keyword `touch` was added to apply delta
instructions before the final IUP bytecode commands, also `touching' the
affected points (to use the TrueType instructions terminology). Such
deltas *do* work even with ClearType if applied to the non-ClearType
* Support for the Telugu script.
* The amount of information about ttfautohint and its parameters that gets
added to the `name` table by default has been reduced. A new option
`--detailed-info` restores the previous behaviour.
* ttfautohintGUI crashed if not used with a control instruction file.
* ttfautohintGUI now correctly switches to a horizontal two-column layout if
the standard one-column layout would exceed the screen height.
* A new option `--family-suffix` makes it possible to append a suffix to a
font's family name in the `name` table. This can be useful during the
development process: It helps the operating system to simultaneously
display several instances of a font that are processed with different
* The new library option `info-post-callback` helps in processing data from
the `name` table.