CHANGES BETWEEN 2.6.5 and 2.7
I. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- As announced earlier, the 2.7.x series now uses the new subpixel
hinting mode as the default, emulating a modern version of
This change inevitably leads to different rendering results, and
you might change the `TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING'
configuration option to adapt it to your taste (or use the new
`FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' environment variable). See the
corresponding entry below for version 2.6.4, which gives more
- A new option `FT_CONFIG_OPTION_ENVIRONMENT_PROPERTIES' has been
introduced. If set (which is the default), an environment
variable `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' can be used to control driver
This allows to select, say, the subpixel hinting mode at runtime
for a given application. See file `ftoption.h' for more.
II. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- After loading a named instance of a GX variation font, the
`face_index' value in the returned `FT_Face' structure now
correctly holds the named instance index in the upper 16bits as
- A new macro `FT_IS_NAMED_INSTANCE' to test whether a given face
is a named instance.
- More fixes to GX font handling.
- Apple's `GETVARIATION' bytecode operator (needed for GX
variation font support) has been implemented.
- Another round of fuzzer fixes, mainly to reject invalid fonts
- Handling of raw CID fonts was broken (bug introduced in version
- The smooth rasterizer has been streamlined to make it faster by
- The `ftgrid' demo program now understands command line option
`-d' to give start-up design coordinates.
- The `ftdump' demo program has a new command line option `-p' to
dump TrueType bytecode instructions.