CHANGES BETWEEN 2.6 and 2.6.1
I. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- It turned out that for CFFs only the advance widths should be
taken from the `htmx' table, not the side bearings. This bug,
introduced in version 2.6.0, makes it necessary to upgrade if
you are using CFFs; otherwise, you get cropped glyphs with GUI
interfaces like GTK or Qt.
- Accessing Type 42 fonts returned incorrect results if the glyph
order of the embedded TrueType font differs from the glyph order
of the Type 42 charstrings table.
II. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- The header file layout has been changed (again), moving all
header files except `ft2build.h' into a subdirectory tree.
Doing so reduces the possibility of header file name clashes
(e.g., FTGL's `FTGlyph.h' with FreeType's `ftglyph.h') on case
insensitive file systems like Mac OS X or Windows.
Applications that use (a) the `freetype-config' script or
FreeType's `freetype2.pc' file for pkg-config to get the include
directory for the compiler, and (b) the documented way for
header inclusion like
don't need any change to the source code.
- Simple access to named instances in GX variation fonts is now
available (in addition to the previous method via FreeType's MM
interface). In the `FT_Face' structure, bits 16-30 of the
`face_index' field hold the current named instance index for the
given face index, and bits 16-30 of `style_flags' contain the
number of instances for the given face index. `FT_Open_Face'
and friends also understand the extended bits of the face index
You need to enable TT_CONFIG_OPTION_GX_VAR_SUPPORT for this new
feature. Otherwise, bits 16-30 of the two fields are zero (or
- Lao script support has been added to the auto-hinter.
- The auto-hinter's Arabic script support has been enhanced.
- Superscript-like and subscript-like glyphs as used by various
phonetic alphabets like the IPA are now better supported by the
- The TrueType bytecode interpreter now runs slightly faster.
- Improved support for builds with cmake.
- The function `FT_CeilFix' now always rounds towards plus
- The function `FT_FloorFix' now always rounds towards minus
- A new load flag `FT_LOAD_COMPUTE_METRICS' has been added; it
makes FreeType ignore pre-computed metrics, as needed by font
validating or font editing programs. Right now, only the
TrueType module supports it to ignore data from the `hdmx'
- Another round of bug fixes to better handle broken fonts, found
by Kostya Serebryany <email@example.com>.