CHANGES BETWEEN 2.5.3 and 2.5.4
I. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- A variant of vulnerability CVE-2014-2240 was identified
(cf. http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?43661) and fixed in the
new CFF driver. All users should upgrade.
- The new auto-hinter code using HarfBuzz crashed for some invalid
- Many fixes to better protect against malformed input.
II. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- Full auto-hinter support of the Devanagari script.
- Experimental auto-hinter support of the Telugu script.
- CFF stem darkening behaviour can now be controlled at build time
using the eight macros
- Some fields in the `FT_Bitmap' structure have been changed from
signed to unsigned type, which better reflects the actual usage.
It is also an additional means to protect against malformed
This change doesn't break the ABI; however, it might cause
- Improvements to the auto-hinter's algorithm to recognize stems
and local extrema.
- Function `FT_Get_SubGlyph_Info' always returned an error even in
case of success.
- Version 2.5.1 introduced major bugs in the cjk part of the
auto-hinter, which are now fixed.
- The `FT_Sfnt_Tag' enumeration values have been changed to
uppercase, e.g. `FT_SFNT_HEAD'. The lowercase variants are
deprecated. This is for orthogonality with all other
enumeration (and enumeration-like) values in FreeType.
- `cmake' now supports builds of FreeType as an OS X framework and
- Improved project files for vc2010, introducing a property file.
- The documentation generator for the API reference has been
updated to produce better HTML code (with proper CSS). At the
same time, the documentation got a better structure.
- The FT_LOAD_BITMAP_CROP flag is obsolete; it is not used by any
- The TrueType DELTAP bytecode instructions now work in
subpixel hinting mode as described in the ClearType whitepaper
(i.e., for touched points in the non-subpixel direction).
- Many small improvements to the internal arithmetic routines.