D2X-XL is an OpenGL port of the classic 3D Shooter game Descent 2 for Win32, Linux and Mac OS X, containing many enhancements and bug fixes while preserving full backwards compatibility.
- Full colored lighting, lightmaps, per pixel lighting
- Smoke, lightning, volumetric glare, gun effects (light and smoke trails, tracers, lightning bolts, dynamic shield effects, thruster flames, transparent, additively blended explosions)
- Anaglyph 3D rendering (amber/blue, red/cyan, green/magenta)
- Many multiplayer enhancements (true CTF, Entropy, Monsterball, up to 16 players, tracker support, UDP/IP connectivity)
- Massive level building enhancements (up to 20000 segments and 2000 walls, triangular segments, new segment types, new programmable trigger types, sound and effect objects, cameras, in-level teleports)
- Many gameplay enhancements (improved collision detection, improved collision physics, framerate independent weapon behavior, improved cockpit)
- High resolution textures, ship and robot models, high quality sound
- Allows full per mission modding of all game elements (models, AI, textures, sound, music)
- In-game context-based help function
- Simple automatic installation
- Sophisticated level editor (flexible interface, OpenGL renderer, 1st and 3rd person views, advanced lighting and segment editing functions)
- Oculus Rift support
- and much, much more
Far from dead, and still chugging along. Developer responds very fast and professionally to bugs, and the engine is very featureful (almost frighteningly so). While I can understand people using rebirth for multiplayer for familiarity, this is my goto for single player mode (And hopefully multiplayer if I can convince a few people).
Absolutely awesome! Best Descent I have ever used. I hope this project is not dead though...
All in all i rate this project as a good one. Every endeavor produces the obstacles and Descent initial improvement - and it is not an exclusion for D2X-XL. You receive great features(colored light, HD video, sound, and models and so on...) - but for a price of constant update and an ever lasting heroic bug fighting from an author. So if you face a certain glitch - don't be angry. This is being resolved even now as we speak. I would only say that if you expect to play Original Descent - do not search for it here. Its much more improved. Will it surpass the original - time will tell.
I've been Descending since 1995 and I feel no inclination to stop at this time. This is excellent work which enhances and preserves an excellent and ground-breaking game
I like this very much!