D2X-XL is an OpenGL port of the classic 3D Shooter game Descent 2 for Win32, Linux and Mac OS X, containing many enhancements and bug fixes while preserving full backwards compatibility.
- Full colored lighting, lightmaps, per pixel lighting
- Smoke, lightning, volumetric glare, gun effects (light and smoke trails, tracers, lightning bolts, dynamic shield effects, thruster flames, transparent, additively blended explosions)
- Anaglyph 3D rendering (amber/blue, red/cyan, green/magenta)
- Many multiplayer enhancements (true CTF, Entropy, Monsterball, up to 16 players, tracker support, UDP/IP connectivity)
- Massive level building enhancements (up to 20000 segments and 2000 walls, triangular segments, new segment types, new programmable trigger types, sound and effect objects, cameras, in-level teleports)
- Many gameplay enhancements (improved collision detection, improved collision physics, framerate independent weapon behavior, improved cockpit)
- High resolution textures, ship and robot models, high quality sound
- Allows full per mission modding of all game elements (models, AI, textures, sound, music)
- In-game context-based help function
- Simple automatic installation
- Sophisticated level editor (flexible interface, OpenGL renderer, 1st and 3rd person views, advanced lighting and segment editing functions)
- Oculus Rift support
- and much, much more
CategoriesFirst Person Shooters
Rate This ProjectLogin To Rate This Project
Far from dead, and still chugging along. Developer responds very fast and professionally to bugs, and the engine is very featureful (almost frighteningly so). While I can understand people using rebirth for multiplayer for familiarity, this is my goto for single player mode (And hopefully multiplayer if I can convince a few people).
Absolutely awesome! Best Descent I have ever used. I hope this project is not dead though...
All in all i rate this project as a good one. Every endeavor produces the obstacles and Descent initial improvement - and it is not an exclusion for D2X-XL. You receive great features(colored light, HD video, sound, and models and so on...) - but for a price of constant update and an ever lasting heroic bug fighting from an author. So if you face a certain glitch - don't be angry. This is being resolved even now as we speak. I would only say that if you expect to play Original Descent - do not search for it here. Its much more improved. Will it surpass the original - time will tell.
I've been Descending since 1995 and I feel no inclination to stop at this time. This is excellent work which enhances and preserves an excellent and ground-breaking game
I like this very much!