Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. The interface is translated into many languages.
The version currently hosted here is 2.1.0 (March 2015). More recent versions than this are available from http://www.audacityteam.org/download/ .
Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Programs like Audacity are also called open source software, because their source code is available for anyone to study or use. There are thousands of other free and open source programs, including the Firefox web browser, the LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice office suites and entire Linux-based operating systems such as Ubuntu
- Record live audio
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording
- And more! See the complete list of features: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features
Rate This ProjectLogin To Rate This Project
Hi i love this software its simple and sweet i get to master it easily from a course name audacityflex(.)com I got 100 super awesome sound effects. this really help me starting from basic to advance with just 9 videos and sound effects. I got all this on a special for 10. Do google it. Audacity is a free software one of the best by far. Do take advantage of this
Not so useful. But support is the best.
A great audio editor Simply the BEST Very good ! ;)
glencg - I'm uncertain what version of Audacity you're using that does not allow you save as an MP3 ? I must admit, I did struggle in the beginning, but I discovered if you "export" (under the "File" tag), a window opens with many options. Click on MP3 and WHAMO !
The download comes with two plug-ins that seem suspect. One appears to be related to pay after one use issue previously mention. Both were unnecessary to edit a wav file at least.