AstroGrep is a Microsoft Windows GUI File Searching (grep) utility. Its features include regular expressions, versatile printing options, stores most recent used paths and has a "context" feature which is very nice for looking at source code.
- Regular expressions
- Concurrent multiple file types
- Recursive directory searching
- A "context" feature that selects the lines above and below your search expression
- Versatile exporting and printing options
- RIght click to open file with editor of your choice at specific line (if setup)
- Store Most Recently Used file names, file types, and search expressions
- Match Whole Word Only
- File encoding detection (ability to turn off and override for individual files)
This tool is absolutely excellent and exactly what I've been looking for hours on end now. To no discredit to the author and his/her accomplishment, what is so difficult about developing a tool speaking a language the user chooses to search a hard drive for (albeit somewhat very) specific contents within a file that can have any extension?!? It astounds me to see how many ways the short-sighted "developers" of alternative tools choose to shoot the themselves (and their user) in the foot. Kudos to AstroGrep author(s) for adding Explorer shell integration. Despite how natural and logical such an expectation is on the Windows platform, it was looking to be an impossibility to expect just an hour ago. Praise goes to the author as well for the excellent, intuitive user interface, which even offers highlighting and visual effects for that extra unexpected punch. It is beyond me why so many people suggest such crap as DocFetcher and InFile Seeker over the outstanding, full-featured AstroGrep!
Very good and stable application. Always installed on my pcs.
Very hand tool!
@ chkiser It is clean. Norton are famous for Heuristic threats, which is a guess by Norton, not based on actual file contents. Google is your friend, search for the threat Name, in your case "WS.Reputation.1" to put your mind at ease.
Super fast and a well thought out interface. Really nice job!