Jason Frisvold - 2014-01-03

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm having one hell of a time getting this to install on my Chumby 8. I tried installing the zurk firmware, but It didn't seem to be working, so I've moved back to the factory firmware. I have created a FAT32 filesystem on a USB stick (mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sdd1) and unzipped the zurk_chumby8_infocast.zip file into the root directory. I'm using the latest release, v33.

After restoring the C8 to factory (1.8.2), I configured the timezone and joined the local wireless. The dashboard downloads, everything appears as it has for months. With the system back to default, I turned it off and put the USB stick with zurk on it, and turned the system back on.

The initial loading screen comes up, the bubbles sound plays, and the chumby logo shows up. The zurk loader appears in the upper left, sits on "Checking USB Disk" for 1 minute (the ch in chumby is exposed, the rest has the red border with the green fill), and then the unit jumps to the rebooting screen. The screen flashes and goes blank. I never get any voice prompts indicating anything has happened. With the exception of the bubbles sound, the unit never makes a sound.

It appears the unit is OFF at this point, but I'm not sure how to tell. If I hit the power button, nothing seems to happen making me think it was on and I just turned it off. Hitting it again causes the unit to turn on.

If I wait, however, it seems nothing ever happens. The README indicates that the first boot should take 3-5 minutes, not 1-2, so I'm not sure if something isn't working and I'm missing it, or if this unit is just really fast for some reason? I've waited for more than 10 minutes before trying the power button and then removing the USB stick.

After removing the stick, I let it boot again. I get the bubbles sound like before and the standard Chumby logo screen. I'm then kicked into the network configuration setup and can't seem to get the unit to connect to the network. I can "see" the unit from the access point, though, and it was assigned an IP, which is pingable. So I'm not sure what's holding up the network config.

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get this working. I've tried this process about 5 times now, all with the same results.