Street Data for Europe //Copyright issues

2003-09-02
2004-06-30
  • karsten lahrs

karsten lahrs - 2003-09-02

For Germany it is clear that there is no free data available. In most case this will be the same for all other european countrys.
    If we want to use this data we normally costs about 60 to 100 euro per user. If we think about a navigation system that cost from 1000 to 3000 euro we normally should buy these data.

There might be other solutions like collecting data during travel. the only thing about this idea is that you have to navigate by coordinates. for me that would work. you knew where the streets are,but you have no idea of additionel informations like zip codes speed limts os other informations.

so i would propose both solutions.

regards,

karsten

• Michael Tuschik

Michael Tuschik - 2003-09-03

Hi,

I would suggest an open interface to map data with a well defined API. So i'm able to develop a connector to the map data  of my favourite routing prog.

Also a layered visualization of that map data is a good idea, so i can combine multiple map data sources (including personal informations and hand made maps).

cheers
      Michael

• knacky

knacky - 2004-06-30

For Belgium too, no free data exist. Data will be the biggest problem. A good open interface sounds the best option. Teleatlas is selling data in for example ArcShape and Oracle Spatial format, but they are way too expensive I guess.

An raster image registration tool could also help. Then you can at least scan some data and georegister the image so that you see the GPS location on the right spot. No routing then but something to start with.

In the OpenSource GIS world, free data remains an important issue.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks