David M. Karr - 2008-07-02

Eclipse 3.4, Zip Editor 1.0.5, Java 1.5.0_10.

I have a .ear file.  One file in the .ear file is a .war.  I need to add a particular file to the .war, and save everything back.

So, I opened the .ear file with Eclipse, which opened it in the zip file editor.  I found the .war file.  I opened that.  I navigated to the directory I needed to add the file to.  I selected the option to add a file.  I selected the file on my local drive to add.  That appeared to add it to the .war file.  When I selected "Save" from the context menu, that made the asterisk go away on the file I added to the .war, and the .war itself (on the editor tab).  However, in the .ear file editor, instead of showing a file named "foo.war" (not it's actual name), it instead showed ">foo.war".  When I try to select "Save" from the context menu, nothing happens.  The asterisk is still in the file name on the editor tab, and it's still ">foo.war" in the editor pane.

I noticed that some messages were going be in the Eclipse console when I did the save, and it was this:

!ENTRY ZipEditor 4 0 2008-07-02 14:59:10.458
!MESSAGE The input org.eclipse.ui.ide.FileStoreEditorInput@8b1dd0ba cannot be saved

Nothing I do will save the EAR file with the changed WAR file.