Signal already used by VM: SIGTERM

Help
sli
2013-04-29
2013-06-12
  • sli

sli - 2013-04-29

Hi,

I am using the latest release 11.06 to wrap a java application.  It runs okay from the console, i.e., runcosole.bat.  But when I try to start the service, i.e, starService.bat, the application failed to start due to the following exception:

Exception java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Signal already used by VM: SIGTERM

If I run the following copied from the service property from the command line, nothing happens:

"D:\test\bin\work\test.exe" "-classpath" "D:\test\yajsw-stable-11.06\wrapper.jar" "-Xrs" "-Dwrapper.service=true" "-Dwrapper.working.dir=D:\ClassOne\MidTier_3_4_0_EM\bin" "-Dwrapper.config=D:\test\yajsw-stable-11.06\conf\wrapper.conf" "-Dwrapper.additional.1x=-Xrs" "-Djna_tmpdir=D:\TEMP" "org.rzo.yajsw.boot.WrapperServiceBooter"

The application has a few shutdown hooker:

// Process SIGTERM
    Signal.handle(new Signal("TERM"),handler_term);
    // Process SIGINT
    Signal.handle(new Signal("INT"),handler_int);

Java: 16.0.17

Could the problem be related to the -Xrs? Any ideas?

Thanks,

• rzo

rzo - 2013-05-02

Hello,

-Xrs and Signal handling do not work together. See java documentation for -Xrs.

Is there a reason why you are using signal handler instead of shutdown hook ?
    The signal handling class is sun propriatary where as shutdown hooks are general.

yajsw adds -Xrs, to avoid the application from shuting down when a user logs-off.

• Ron

• sli

sli - 2013-05-03

Ron,

Thank you.  The same piece of code works fine with JSW.  Any work around?

Thanks,

• rzo

rzo - 2013-05-04

hello,

the only way to solve this is to remove -Xrs from the command file:

in WrappedJavaProcess.jvmOptions comment out

result.add("-Xrs");

to build the jar files:
    go to <yajsw>/build/gradle and execute gradlew.bat

For the next release i will add a configuration property so users can control if -Xrs is added automatically to the command line.

• Ron

• sli

sli - 2013-05-06

Ron,

Thank you.  I will try it out.

• sli

sli - 2013-05-06

Hi Ron,

I recompiled the class, and now it works, thank you!  Another observation is that YAJSW and our application are displaying same java command name in the task manager list if I specify the following:

wrapper.java.command = D:\\0_ClassOne\\MidTier_3_4_test\\bin\\work\\Wrap01.exe

In JSW, since it uses wrapper.exe instead of jar, I can rename it to any name I want.  Can I do the same in YAJSW?

• rzo

rzo - 2013-05-07

hello,

to use rename the jvm exe see the property:

wrapper.java.customProcName

note that java must be cleanly installed on the machine, eg not just copied. otherwise, the jvm will have issues finding the corresponding dll.

• Ron

• sli

sli - 2013-05-07

Hi Ron,

It works like a charm! Thank you!  Initially I just gave a name to wrapper.java.customProcName property, e.g.:

wrapper.java.customProcName=test

and it did not work, and later I changed to the following:

wrapper.java.customProcName=c://path_to_renamed_java//test.exe

then it worked.

• rzo

rzo - 2013-05-09

hello,

for the next release a new property has been added:

wrapper.ntservice.reduce_signals

setting it to false will inhibit setting -Xrs.

• Ron

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks