Service auto update on JNLP/conf changes

2012-05-23
2013-06-12
  • Fabio Ortiz

Fabio Ortiz - 2012-05-23

I have the lines  below in my config file:

ntservice_version = 1.0
    wrapper.cache = ../remote-software-${ntservice_version}-bin
    wrapper.base = zip:http://staging.integration.dbinsight.am.intranet.db.com/NTService/payload/remote-software-${ntservice_version}-bin.zip!remote-software-${ntservice_version}

They used to configure,dowload and launch my applicatio by the service. I wanted to update my software and then update the JNLP file and config to be able to download the next version of my software by just changing the version number:
    ntservice_version = 2.0

This downloads and expands a zip but it does not runs the new code. The reason is because some of the paths are place in the NTService  that launcher.

Would there be anyway to upgrade my application without having to reinstall the service.
    thanks,

• rzo

rzo - 2012-05-23

hello,

first, congrats. this is the first question concerning remote yajsw.

if i understand correctly you would like the service to check if something has changed, if so download it and then start the service.

this is effectively not possible. however it makes sense and is doable. but this will require some coding.

i will have to think this out and will get back to you.

• Ron

• rzo

rzo - 2012-05-23

ps: this will definitely make sense for some of my projects, so i will work on it. however i cannot promise any dates for now.

• Fabio Ortiz

Fabio Ortiz - 2012-05-25

Great that it will get done
    I am thinking some changes have to be made to the entry in the service. Because it has the current path (app version number). So I am not sure if the wrapper can override that when updating (It probably needs to be restarted). When I change the version in my zip it should download it and expanded to a separe directory. Then the paths would need to change. But if you do it will sure be really usefull.

• rzo

rzo - 2012-05-29

hello,

yes, this would be a new feature, which will need some more configuration. i will have to figure out what.
    i have had this on my mind for some time. but did not get to work on it.

btw: the zip file is first downloaded to a temp folder. the single files are read from there. this is part of apache vfs.

• Ron

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks