Poll: would you miss the lock?

Help
2007-05-10
2013-04-24
  • Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2007-05-10

Hi all,
    the lock for attaching the selection frame to the main control is rather error-prone.
    Esp. in the light of the new draggable selection frame, would you miss it if I remove it?

Karl.

• Paco Avila

Paco Avila - 2007-05-10

Nop, you can remove it. I think this is a useless and, as you say, error-prone feature.

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2007-05-10

yeah well, I had you on my list, already ;)

so for removing it's:

2 pro - 0 contra

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2007-05-14

coming to think of it, there actually IS one thing that I was using (though that would not work in conjunction with minimize to tray anyway), i. e. moving around the capture area while capturing (for the show ;) ) or while paused (preparing stuff on different parts of the screen and moving around while paused). That would either require the lock or another way of moving the capture area. But perhaps I'm the only one using that?!?

Maybe I'll just make it disabled by default, though that makes the capture area snap to the control window once you enable the lock.

• test-dr

test-dr - 2007-05-15

no, i would not miss it too at the moment - but the idea to move around and changing the capture focus on the fly is a very nice idea. This would be a good feature to capture the interesting hot-spots and keeping the capture-size small. I still do no not use the gui, looks my computer is not powerfull enough because it uses to much cpu-power (or is this a buggy feature, polling the interface all the time). I get very low cpu-usage if running the capture without the gui. Btw. i was able to record the sound too with the gui-interface and using arecord to pipe the sound to xvidcap. But this only worked with the gui and setting the audio format to pcm16. I tried it without gui and it looks like always using the wrong audio format and with the gui i have always to reset the audio-format to pcm.
      http://gaminggone.net/gamestats/374/cap_hydro-5fps.avi
      is a recording with 5fps, size: 1,2MB xvid format incl. sound
      capture was done with:
      xvidcap --sf --cap_geometry 640x480+0+10 --fps 5.0 --gui no --quality 80 --auto --audio no --file o%04d.jpg
      and the audiorecording from the alsa-copy interface with arecord.
      Generation of avi was done with mencoder.

greetz, test-dr