About the Performance

Help
2005-12-02
2013-04-24
  • Nobody/Anonymous

When I use xvidcap to capture the full screen, it seems that xvidcap occupy huge CPU resources and my system slow down. I wonder why it use so much resources and whether there is way to cope with.
    Thank you!

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2005-12-02

Hi,
      I'm sure there has been some discussion about this before but to sum it up:

xvidcap suffers from a number of things on the performance front:
      1) displays today are quite a bit larger than the used to be in the olden lotus screencam days. The X desktop on my home machine has 3200 x 1200 pixels which makes 3.7 MB per single frame adding up to 88 MB/s at 24 fps..... that's a whole lot of stuff. Haven't gotten around to actually profile things (planned for 1.5 along with a little more multi-threading).

2) unlike some windows tools xvidcap today cannot encode on the video hardware or grab directly from the graphics adapter. This means all the work needs to be done by the main CPU. This does not absolutely need to be this way, but ...

2.1) there's so much to do and so little time ...

2.1.1) I just lost all my changes after 1.1.4pre2 because I'm stupid ... and that puts me back a bit. So don't expect me to be able to look into that soon. OTOH if you're a developer and like a challenge ;)

3) look here for some things you might tune:
      http://www.jarre-de-the.net/faq/index.php?aktion=artikel&rubrik=005&id=11&lang=en

Karl.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks