Menu

xvidcap and 'Intrepid Ibex'

Help
cherax
2008-11-07
2013-04-24
  • cherax

cherax - 2008-11-07

Xvidcap wouldn't work on my new Dell 530n desktop with Ubuntu (or Xubuntu) 8.04; it crashed and disappeared when I pressed the red 'record' button, or simply froze. Simple audio recording with Gnome sound recorder was also poor (low volume level) and inconsistent, and recordmydesktop simply froze. I found a number of bug reports concerning the Dell's on-board Intel soundcard and version 1.16 of Alsa, so I installed Xubuntu 8.10, which has Alsa version 1.17. That fixed basic sound recording, and recordmydesktop also now works, but Xvidcap still freezes; running from console gives:

(xvidcap:5916): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(message repeated multiple times...)

(xvidcap:5916): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
        [mpeg4 @ 0xb74492f0]removing common factors from framerate

I've installed ffmpeg and all multimedia codecs from Medibuntu, to no avail.

I tried installing version 1.1.7 from the SourceForge deb package, but got an error message about not having liblame0. Liblame0 is not present in Intrepid's repos, and, when I got it from Debian, my system complained that it conflicted with libmp3lame0 (memory could be vague about the filename, afer a couple of hours of fiddling) and it proceeded to remove xvidcap altogether. Confusing!

So: how can I install xvidcap 1.1.7 without liblame0? Or, are there any other tests that will shed light on why xvidcap hangs on my system? I use xvidcap for recording lectures and other student tutorials, and would very much like to continue with it on my very fast new Dell.

• cherax

cherax - 2008-11-07

Used synaptic to remove xvidcap 1.16, then installed 1.1.7 from source (lots of dependencies needed to be resolved, even with "build essential" package installed). Looks like it's working now. Guess I should stick with the author's packages!

• Nobody/Anonymous

The only way I was able to get sound working with Hardy was to install 1.17. A breeze with the .deb  package and it simply replaced 1.16.

Then I upgraded to Ibex and xvidcap was removed along with liblame0. The  latter was replaced with libmp3lame and now I can't reinstall xvidcap because of the dependency on Ibex-deprecated liblame0.

Any 1.17 deb available to go with libmp3lame instead of liblame0 ??

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2008-11-10

So, you're saying you're not getting hangs on 8.10? Since 8.10 has Xlib with libxcb support, I'd expect it to get deadlocks (esp. with the "capture area follows mouse feature".
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxcb/+bug/185311

What's your experience?

• Nobody/Anonymous

er, libmp3lame0

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2008-11-24

just uploaded an intrepid deb, after having finally upgraded to that version myself

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2008-11-24

Ahhh ... and btw. it is not current SVN but bug-compatible with 1.1.7 except for a small fix I've put into the intrepid deb which would otherwise make xvidcap crash with an error about 32bit being an unacceptable image depth for encoding.
          (the X server in intrepid uses 32bpp on my machine but still has no alpha mask)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks. The intrepid deb 1.17 is so far working just fine - complete with audio and no crash.

Next time I update, I'll use the computer with the crappy soundcard, instead ;)