Stream to an IP

• Nobody/Anonymous

Can anyone direct me to any work that has been done with taking the captured video and streaming it to an IP ?

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2005-12-27

I'm afraid I don't think there's a way to do that in real time. I've been trying to use ffmpeg pipe: protocol as an output format and redirect that to e.g. ffserver. However, I haven't been able to get it to open an ffmpeg pipe properly nor to get hints from the mailing list. It's definetely a feature that should not require too much work and worth revisiting for 1.1.4. Since I need to upgrade to another version of ffmpeg then, anyway, it might even just work with a more current version.

If you're just looking for a howto for taking the file and setting up a stream lateron, I have no idea personally. Somebody else on the forum might, but I'd try on the streaming server's mailing list ... find out what formats/codecs are supported and then use gvidcap to capture such a video.

P.S.: You might want to file an RFE for it

• Nobody/Anonymous

thanks for your reply, when you say "I'd try on the streaming server's mailing list" are you referring to ffserver ?

• peter_boot

peter_boot - 2005-12-28

Can xvidcap output to stdout ?

Apparently it is possible to 'cat' a file to ffmpeg and stream it using ffserver.

e.g. cat /video/test.mpg | ffmpeg -i -

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2005-12-28

I was not referring to any streaming server in particular (the one of your choice), but ffserver would be one.

As for output to stdout, that was what I was referring to in my first reply ... ffmpeg has the capability to output to stdout using the pipe protocol of the libavformat API. However, I haven't been able to successfully use it, yet. Therefore to date xvicap cannot do that. You can try by specifying --file "-" . The error you'll be seeing is the one that got me stuck.

• Sinan Nalkaya

Sinan Nalkaya - 2005-12-28

with 1.1.4 you have --codec option so you may be able to do like this;
      ./gvidcap --gui no . . . .. . --codec mpeg2 --file | ffmpeg -i - -f dvd udp://
      for earlier version you may do,
      ./xvidcap . . . --file sample.mpeg
      && ffmpeg -i sample.mpeg -f dvd udp://

• Karl H. Beckers

Karl H. Beckers - 2006-01-02

Hi all,
      you might try again with current CVS.
      I have verified that smth. DOES now get put out to stdout and you CAN (should) redirect that to a file or potentially a pipe.

Was able to do smth. like:

../src/gvidcap --gui no --mf --fps 24 --format \ 
        avi --codec mpeg2 --file "-" | ./ffmpeg -i - \   -f dvd

However, I was not able to play the movie. totem complained about mmsh://..... "no plugin to handle this movie" and mplayer fills its cache for ever.

Perhaps somebody with more streaming xp could verify that I've just set up my players incorrectly.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks