Menu

Error Code 512? "Failed to load..."

2002-09-11
2003-01-29
  • Matthew Rosen

Matthew Rosen - 2002-09-11

I have just freshly installed XTV in Jaguar.  I removed the prior install and all associated preference files beforehand.  I also deleted the Extensions.mkext file in /System/Library/.

I restarted without any Login Items enabled.  I ran the fixpermissions script right away.  When I open XTV, I receive the following error:

"Failed to load kernel extension Bt8xx.kext - error code 512"

I am still able to run the application, though, of course, with a black screen.

I also get a dialog upon the first run of the application that states something about the application wanting to use extensions that could compromise the security of the system.  I then have the choice to "Fix and use," "Use," or "Close."  I receive the same error code above if I choose to "fix" or not.

My setup:

Power Mac G4/400 (AGP)
    ixMicro ixTV PCI

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Rosen

• Matthew Rosen

Matthew Rosen - 2002-09-11

Here is the exact wording of that dialog I mentioned that appears upon starting the app:

[In bold]

"The program you are using needs to use a system file that may reduce the security of your computer."

[Plain text]

"The file 'Bt8xx.kext' has problems that may reduce the security of your computer.  You should contact the manufacturer of the product you are using for a new version.  If you are sure that the file is OK, you can allow the application to use it, or fix it and then use it.  If you click Don't Use, any other files that depend on this file will not be used."

[Three buttons]

"Fix and Use," "Use," "Don't Use."

Security?  Sounds like a permissions issue, no?

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you nee any more information.

Again, thanks.

Matthew Rosen

• Brian Scott Oplinger

The problem is that kext's, which after all are changes to the kernel, should be read and execute only, without write permission. With write permission one could have malicious code added (by being written) and take over the kernel. The 'Fix and Use' option basically does a 'chmod -w' on the ketx.

• Matthew Rosen

Matthew Rosen - 2002-09-14

Note that in the first post I mentioned that I tried starting up the app using both the "Fix" and "[Don't fix]" options.  Still, no love.

• Thomas Davie

Thomas Davie - 2002-10-04

I'm getting exactly the same problem with error 512 - I'm running X.2.1 with a Formac ProTV II.  My machine is a Quicksilver 733 with a GeForce 3.

No idea what's wrong with it, just thought I'd point out you're not the only one with the problem.

Bob

• matt henry

matt henry - 2002-10-23

same error same problem.

fix permissions thing is beyond me, but i can do what i'm told.

somebody tell me what to do- it would be great to get this card working under Jaguar.

thanks- fingers crossed,
      b

• Matthew Wall

Matthew Wall - 2002-10-28

if you want macosx to stop complaining to you about the kernel extension, then chown everything to root and make sure that the permissions are not world-writeable.  for example:

sudo chown -R root XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext

sudo chmod 755 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext
      sudo chmod 755 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents
      sudo chmod 644 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/Info.plist
      sudo chmod 644 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/PkgInfo
      sudo chmod 755 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/MacOS
      sudo chmod 644 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/MacOS/Bt8xx

• Mauricio Jaramillo

I'm suffering the same problem, and ALL the Terminal instructions says me "No such file or directory" when refer to Bt8xx.kext (which is there in the XTelevision package).

It happens as root and as administrator or user.

Any idea?

Cross fingers too!   ;-)

Happy 2003!

MaurOS X

• Mauricio Jaramillo

This is the Terminal log:

Last login: Sat Dec 28 23:02:26 on ttyp1
      /Users/maurosx/Desktop/fixpermissions.sh.command; exit
      [Ordenador-de-Mauricio-Jaramillo-Mar-n:~] root# /Users/maurosx/Desktop/fixpermissions.sh.command; exit
      This Script fixes the permissions of the LoadKext.sh file,
      which is responsible for the automatic load of the Kernel-Extension.
      Since after a unzip or unstuffing with Stuffit-Expander the Attributes
      of this files are lost, you either have to manually make this file
      owned by root and set the s flag for the owner.
      note, you will be asked for your administrator password, which
      is usually the password which you use to login to MacOSX.
      /Users/maurosx/Desktop/fixpermissions.sh.command: dirname: command not found
      sudo chown root /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh
      sudo chmod u+s /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh
      chown: /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh: No such file or directory
      chmod: /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh: No such file or directory
      done
      logout
      [Process completed]

• Philippe TEISSIER

Seems to be a matter of path ... Try to move the Xtelevision App to the
        root of the HD because the script wants the app to be at the root of the
        filesystem ...

/XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh

So move the Xtelevision app downto the Boot HD

and let us know

Mauricio Jaramillo a crit:

>This is the Terminal log:
        >
        >Last login: Sat Dec 28 23:02:26 on ttyp1
        >/Users/maurosx/Desktop/fixpermissions.sh.command; exit
        >[Ordenador-de-Mauricio-Jaramillo-Mar-n:~] root# /Users/maurosx/Desktop/fixpermissions.sh.command; exit
        >This Script fixes the permissions of the LoadKext.sh file,
        >which is responsible for the automatic load of the Kernel-Extension.
        >Since after a unzip or unstuffing with Stuffit-Expander the Attributes
        >of this files are lost, you either have to manually make this file
        >owned by root and set the s flag for the owner.
        >note, you will be asked for your administrator password, which
        >is usually the password which you use to login to MacOSX.
        >/Users/maurosx/Desktop/fixpermissions.sh.command: dirname: command not found
        >sudo chown root /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh
        >sudo chmod u+s /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh
        >chown: /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh: No such file or directory
        >chmod: /XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh: No such file or directory
        >done
        >logout
        >[Process completed]
        >
        >
        >
        >

>

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-12-29

This change does seem to work to get rid of the error code, but still have a black screen.
      Info from "mwall ( Matthew Wall )"
      /usr/sbin/kmodstat

should be:

/usr/sbin/kextstat

I am running OSX 10.2.3 on a Quicksilver 2002 G4 800mhz

Also, all the key commands s to setup and etc. freez the mac.
      Thanks,

Dick G

• Mauricio Jaramillo

:-(

Doesn't work!

I hope a... miracle!

Regards!

• Andrew Muldoon

Andrew Muldoon - 2003-01-03

Hi,
      I tried LoadKext.sh and got the following result which means nothing to me but may mean something to someone...
      + rm -f /tmp/loadkext.log
      + touch /tmp/loadkext.log
      + log XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh:
      ++ date +%Y:%m:%d
      + date=2003:01:03
      + echo 2003:01:03:LOG: XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh:
      + APPDIR=
      + drv=Bt8xx
      + kext=Bt8xx.kext
      + '[' x = x ']'
      + err XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh: need applications directory as pararmeter 1
      ++ date +%Y:%m:%d
      + date=2003:01:03
      + echo 2003:01:03:ERROR: XTelevision.app/Contents/Resources/LoadKext.sh: need applications directory as pararmeter 1
      + exit 1

I also ran the following in a terminal :
      sudo chown -R root XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext

sudo chmod 755 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext
      sudo chmod 755 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents
      sudo chmod 644 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/Info.plist
      sudo chmod 644 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/PkgInfo
      sudo chmod 755 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/MacOS
      sudo chmod 644 XTelevision.app/Bt8xx.kext/Contents/MacOS/Bt8xx

Any further suggestions please???
      Thanks
      Andrew M (UK)

• Bilbo Beutlin

Bilbo Beutlin - 2003-01-27

Excuse my bad english.

I have download the itv-0.1.tgz Filme from http://a-thiede.bei.t-online.de/itv.html and i have unpack it. After tath i have load the Bt8xx.kext from this package with the command ./lk.sh

Now i run Xtelevision. The Error "Failed to load kernel extension Bt8xx.kext - error code 512" show up and i klick ok.

Now i can watch TV but only b/w and without sound. i Have an Mirrored G4 Dual 1 GHz with 768 MB Ram and an Hauppauge WinTV PCI/FM TV-Card. Pal version. In Xtelevision i have select NTSC. PAL don't work? I Select the default Grafik Card. Otherwise it don't work. I hope this help you.

• Bilbo Beutlin

Excuse my bad english.

I have download the itv-0.1.tgz Filme from http://a-thiede.bei.t-online.de/itv.html and i have unpack it. After tath i have load the Bt8xx.kext from this package with the command ./lk.sh

Now i run Xtelevision. The Error "Failed to load kernel extension Bt8xx.kext - error code 512" show up and i klick ok.

Now i can watch TV but only b/w and without sound. i Have an Mirrored G4 Dual 1 GHz with 768 MB Ram and an Hauppauge WinTV PCI/FM TV-Card. Pal version. In Xtelevision i have select NTSC. PAL don't work? I Select the default Grafik Card. Otherwise it don't work. I hope this help you.

• Bilbo Beutlin

Excuse my bad english.

• Bilbo Beutlin

Excuse my bad english.