Jorge Rodriguez - 2006-12-28

Thanks for starting this project -- this is really huge stuff, and it can only get better! Tried this first on a Ubuntu 6.10 installatoin, but like some other users reported, the Xvnc connection on Ubuntu was a bit too shaky.

Figured that everyone's plain Jane vanilla Fedora would run this just fine, therefore, and sure enough it does!

Here are some notes that I took for anyone else who may have issues in the future, about as detailed as I can make it.

I installed Fedora Core 6 (i386) straight on through, and at the software selection point I picked "Office and Productivity" and "Software Development". As it went on through the install, I disabled the firewall (just to test it) and I set the SELinux to "permissive" (again, just to test it). The install proceeded just as normal, and it shuffled me off to the gnome desktop.

Downloaded the xrdp source, un-tar'ed it, and, just as the installation instructions said, to a folder underneath my home directory. Going to Applicaitons-->Accessories-->Terminal, it opened up a command prompt.

cd xrdp-0.3.2
make
su
<password>
make install
exit

Because I was using gnome, it required a quick change to the startwm.sh file. Again, opening up a terminal:

su
<password>
cd /usr/local/xrdp/
nano startwm.sh

I commented (using # at the start of the line, naturally) anything related to the KDE install. I also uncommented (deleting the # at the start of the line) the 4 lines underneath #gnome to allow all of the gnome-specific information to be accessed.

Then, to get out of nano, Ctrl+X, and Yes to save.

To get XRDP started, then, while still at that command prompt:

./xrdpstart.sh

Hope this is helpful information from someone -- and thanks so much for this project!!!