installation howto...

Help
Manfred
2009-09-09
2013-05-28
  • Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-09

I want to give it a try on my linux-server, what exactly do i need to install it?
    As i remember i just have to put the war-file into a applicatin-server directory, and it should be deployed automatically.

PHP?
    Database?
    Application-Server?

Sorry for that newbie questions but i am a bit new to AS-stuff.
    If you give me some hints how, i can do a kind of installation doc for it.

• Daniel Cukier

Daniel Cukier - 2009-09-09

The easiest way is having a MySql Server. Create an empty database on it with command "create database xplanner". Then configure the file  "WEB-INF/classes/xplanner-custom.properties" - change the connection username and password.

• Maxim Chirkov (XPlanner+)

To run it you need:
      1. Java 1.5-1.6
      2. any Java EE application server, we mainly testing on tomcat 5.5 and tomcat 6.0
      3. Tested on hsqldb and Mysql, so recommended is mysql
      If you are using tomcat to deploy application you should just put it to "tomcat/webapps" directory. Of cause you need to have database created.
      As mentioned in previous post this is configured in xplanner-custom.properties
      By default expected that you have database installed on local machine and have database with name xplanner, and user xplanner/xp, with all priveleges on this database.

• Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-16

so, i finally managed to install it, i am running it on a debian server
    there were several issues i could solve, but since some days i cant get over some exceptions, i am completely stuck, so sometimes somebody could please take a look at it and give me a hint how to go on?

Thanks a lot!

: http://pictsies.fairtec.at/xplanplus_err.txt

I've seen logs.

Could you post your mysql version?

There are 2 exceptions, one of which is just incorrect setup of logging for linux system, I will fix it soon (xplanner can run with this exception). And major problem migration scripts fails for mysql server, that you are using.

• Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-17

it's

5.0.51a-24+lenny2

I found the real problem. It's looks like You are using gcj default java in debian (and it's not compatible with sun jdk).

So to solve this issue you can install either sun jdk or  open source version openjdk 6 (package name on debian is openjdk-6-jdk).

• Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-20

yes…. you seem to be right, i did install sun-jdk6 and also checked that it is used with java -showversion BUT there seems to be a bug, tomcat is running with the gcj-jvm
    I found .
    I try to implement the bugfix. Thank you for your help!

: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495235

• Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-20

i have to mention, that i hibernate.show_sql=true did not produce any sql-statements in the logs

Hi Manfred,

Have you succeeded in installation of XPlanner+?

I suppose, I've avoided this bug by removing of gcj and default-jdk, after installation of openjdk-6-jdk

• Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-20

a bit more complicated… the bug was already implemented, but there is another issue

A) WORKS:
    apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
    apt-get install tomcat5.5 tomcat5.5-admin

B) DOES NOT WORK:
    apt-get install tomcat5.5 tomcat5.5-admin
    apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin

A does not install the gcj VM, B does install gcj + sun (that's fine)

i tried to make B choosing the sun-jdk by
    update-alternatives -config java
    update-alternatives -config javac
    update-java-alternatives -set java-6-sun

when starting the tomcat-manager always java 1.5 is displayed
    when removing apt-get remove java-gcj-compat
    the manager is not able to run anymore

Finally sun-jdk is running now, i am currently investigating what policy has to be set to make the application run, and how to do this on Debian.

• Manfred

Manfred - 2009-09-29

Forgot to mention that there have been a lot of bugfixes and changes in the last version that were annoying xplanner-user for some years! Really fast development in this project!

• Svenn Are Bjerkem

What does this error indicate?

Oct 13, 2009 9:59:09 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.technoetic.xplanner.filters.XPlannerMigrationLauncher
    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /usr/share/tomcat6/lib read)

I am using debian sid/testing with tomcat6 6.0.20-7 and sun-java-jdk 1.6-16-1, and the xplanner-plus.war that could be downloaded from the sourceforge page. I have read through this thread and also inspected tortureduck's blog.

Looks like tomcat6 has changed a bit with regards to the dependencies on non-sun jdk, but how do I verify which one of them tomcat6 picks for running?

If you follow tortureduck's guide, then for tomcat 6 you need to change following permission:

permission java.io.FilePermission "/usr/share/tomcat5.5/common/-","read";

to

permission java.io.FilePermission "/usr/share/tomcat6/lib/-","read";

To be sure on which jdk tomcat is running, you should setup **JAVA\_HOME**
    property inside **/etc/default/tomcat6**. If it's not specified, then look in **/etc/init.d/tomcat6** for JDK_DIRS, there are specified order of pass in which tomcat looking for java.

• Anonymous - 2013-04-10

Hi,

I like to know how to access xplanner+ installed on a network machine? Please could you point me to a help/topic?