Lost annotations when Xournal crashed

Help
2011-09-19
2013-03-05
  • TMP-StephenH

TMP-StephenH - 2011-09-19

I was annotating a document and just as I was about to save it, Xournal exited unexpectedly. Is there any place that I can look to see if my annotations can be recovered? I would appreciate any suggestions.

This is on a netbook with 64 bit Fedora 15 (XFCE desktop, not Gnome).

• AndreasB

AndreasB - 2011-09-19

Look at ~/.xournalpp/autosave for autosaved documents or at ~/.xournalpp/emergencysave.xoj for a may saved document (this document always will be created if something crashes, but if the document is already corrupted saving it may is not possible anymore)

If there is a "errorlog.log" in this folder please attach the contents to this post, so I may can fix the Bug.

Andreas

• TMP-StephenH

Unfortunately, there is no ~/.xournalpp/autosave directory or ~/.xournalpp/emergencysave.xoj file. There is a ~./.xournal directory containing "recent-files", but nothing else.

• AndreasB

AndreasB - 2011-09-19

Sorry, I didn't read the title enough carefully.

Xournal++ is my part, the next generation, currently in alpha state, which has an autosave and emercency save function. Xournal has not. Xournal has only an autosave feature if you have patched it. If not… Sorry, your work is lost I think…

Andreas

• TMP-StephenH

I hope Xournal++ is ready soon then. I have to seriously reevaluate using it in this state since I can't afford to lose work. How would I go about patching Xournal? Right now, have the version installed from the Fedora 15 repository which is
    xournal-0.4.5-12.fc15.x86_64.

• TMP-StephenH

I downloaded the source for Xournal++, but when I try to execute .configure I get the following:

configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.18.3 poppler-glib >= 0.5.4 poppler >= 0.5.4 libglade-2.0 >= 2.6.4 gthread-2.0 >= 2.4.0 librsvg-2.0 >= 2.14.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
    No package 'poppler-glib' found
    No package 'poppler' found
    No package 'libglade-2.0' found

However, I do have these packages installed and at the latest version in the Fedora repository.

gtk+-1.2.10-71.fc15.x86_64
    poppler-glib-0.16.7-1.fc15.x86_64
    poppler-0.16.7-1.fc15.x86_64
    libglade-0.17-25.fc15.x86_64
    libglade2-2.6.4-5.fc15.x86_64

I looked at the links you provided, and haven't a clue as to how to go about patching the current version. I guess I'll wait until Xournal++ is done.

Thank you for the assistance,

Stephen

• Denis Auroux

Denis Auroux - 2011-09-19

Stephen: sorry, your file is indeed probably lost. Do you know what you were doing when it crashed?  (In particular: were you exporting it to PDF? Had you just unplugged an external keyboard/mouse? Did you just resume from a suspend? Those are the only scenarios in which I'm aware of crashes, and there are bugfixes for most of them).

The mainstream version of xournal is, normally, extremely stable, and in 5 years I've only lost files due to wrong manipulations (switching computer off without closing, running out of battery, or answering "no" to the "do you want to save" question), and one really bad crasher bug which is now fixed in the CVS source code repository.

If there is a bug out there that can cause xournal to crash, it should be fixed right away and I'd be happy to try if you give me a hint to figure out what happened. If it has already been fixed in the CVS source repository but isn't in the Fedora version, you should ask the Fedora package maintainer to update the package.  (Unfortunately, the main 0.4.5 release is a bit out of date; fortunately, most distributions have incorporated the important bugfixes released since then into their packages).

That being said: yes, autosave is a useful feature, due to the power loss / human error scenarios. It was submitted as a patch for xournal and can be found at the location indicated by Andreas, but I am not completely sure how robust/stable the autosave patch is. (I didn't find the time to review it carefully, that's why it's not in the mainstream xournal release).

Sorry again for the loss of your data - it's obviously not a good thing to have happen under any circumstances.

Denis

• Denis Auroux

Denis Auroux - 2011-09-19

Stephen: about compiling xournal++ (or a patched version of xournal for that matter): in Fedora, in order to compile you'll need not just the libraries themselves but also the "devel" packages: gtk2-devel, poppler-glib-devel, etc etc.

Denis

• TMP-StephenH

Stephen: sorry, your file is indeed probably lost. Do you know what you were doing when it crashed? (In particular: were you exporting it to PDF? Had you just unplugged an external keyboard/mouse? Did you just resume from a suspend? Those are the only scenarios in which I'm aware of crashes, and there are bugfixes for most of them).

I had unplugged my external mouse since the class was ending. I had left the computer on because I wanted to show something to the professor. Unfortunately, I had not thought to hit "save" first.

If there is a bug out there that can cause xournal to crash, it should be fixed right away and I'd be happy to try if you give me a hint to figure out what happened. If it has already been fixed in the CVS source repository but isn't in the Fedora version, you should ask the Fedora package maintainer to update the package. (Unfortunately, the main 0.4.5 release is a bit out of date; fortunately, most distributions have incorporated the important bugfixes released since then into their packages).

in Fedora, in order to compile you'll need not just the libraries themselves but also the "devel" packages: gtk2-devel, poppler-glib-devel, etc etc.

I finally figured that part out. However, compilation did not work.

I'll have to see who the package maintainer is. I downloaded the 0.4.5 source and one of the patches and attempted to compile it per the instructions, but it did not work. I suspect that there were changes between Fedora 14 and 15 that require more than just running .configure, make, make install and make desktop-install (or install-desktop, whichever it was).

That being said: yes, autosave is a useful feature, due to the power loss / human error scenarios. It was submitted as a patch for xournal and can be found at the location indicated by Andreas, but I am not completely sure how robust/stable the autosave patch is. (I didn't find the time to review it carefully, that's why it's not in the mainstream xournal release).

Yes, I sure could have used autosave. I don't have the background to look at it and see, and while I feel confident in making changes to my system with packages, I have not used the source and compiled software but a couple of times. Even that has been more than a couple of years ago. Since it is an important feature (moreso to those of us who have lost data this way), please consider taking a look and seeing if one of them is adequate for the task.

Respectfully,

Stephen

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks