Need some understanding of Users/groups

• Ross Linfoot

Ross Linfoot - 2005-10-21

In my implementation of XOOPS I want to categorise people by the organisation they work for - Rather like a customer database, where the individual users can access different components, depending on the customer group they belong. I am sure I can create a group for every customer I have and then associate the group with a function, but is this the correct way to go about it. At the end of the day I forsee that there may be many customers, some only having 1 or 2 users . Is there a customer module where this can happen or is it really that I must create individual groups of customer entries to associate a user with? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Ross Linfoot

Ross Linfoot - 2005-10-24

Thanks for the feedback - It looks like your solution can probably buy me some time until I have definitely refined what I am trying to do - I was hoping to link the groups to a module like SMARTClient in some way - But I will review more about that module and others that may be partly in the direction I am looking.
      Thanks again :)

• Harwin

Harwin - 2005-10-24

Well there might be another way. At least with 2.2.x that is.
      In the Admin backend you could create new groups under the Users menu.( I guess you'll need the usermanangement module installed. )

Here you can create new types of groups and defining where the could have access to. Even give them certain Admin rights.

Here is where you could indeed give certain groups access to modules or deny them access. It is as simple as that.

But also it gets more complex if not every member of the group should read and write what other can. But this would simply mean to split groups. Where one group might have read/write rights and another only may read.

Usermanagement and membelist sure could do a lot there for you I guess.

Still the problem with f.i. a group called : ClientsOfGeoff who have shedule read rights, will also be able to read appointments of others. So here a 1 on 1 group would still be needed.

Another interesting thing is that any user can be member of several groups.

You're welcome

• Harwin

Harwin - 2005-10-24

First you could make sure that you have the modules : usermanagement and memberlist.

Next you would indeed create Groups which could also be considered Categories.

Say f.i. you would have employees from FILIPS than you just would create a Group with that name and give it certain rights. And then you just decide which user will become a member of that Group.

Thing is, when they first register they will become a plain member. What I did is to give them indeed very plain rights. A bit more then guests as a matter of fact.

After this I created a Group called VIPS, well they have more rights than the others.

But there is more, you could give a certain group only rights to view a special category. Invisivble to others.

Problem I got was that when you want to have f.i. a salesperson and his client in a calender, this becomes a slight problem.

What I mean is, say SP1 has CL1 and needs to shedule an apointment. You would want to let SP1 see all of the sheduled appointments, but not let other clients of SP1 know of each others appointments. Let alone of their excistense => privacy matter.

The Group/ Member thing of XOOPS is very well done, but I do not have a simple solution for the described problem. If that was what you were asking.

Thing is that you would have to create a group with the client and salespersonname and make them both a member. And only they, and the head of sales would have right to read and write.

Now it gets worse if a salesperson has more than like 20 clients I guess.
      But with less this might do the job indeed.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks