This is a massive patch to add rootless mode.
Patched against XFree86 CVS on Thursday night. Requires
the render extension patch to be installed already. Run
with `startx -- -rootless` from the terminal (double-
clicking will open full-screen mode always).
From Xserver/hw/darwin: `< rootless.patch patch -p1`
You'll need to make clean and make Makefiles, too.
A binary is available at http://www.sealiesoftware.com/
If you find a bug not listed here or an X program that
crashes the server, let me know at gparker @at@
users.sourceforge.net. Don't post rootless bugs to the
SourceForge forums yet.
* drawing on the root window works (twm window resize,
* non-rectangular windows work, and they even get drop
shadows. Transparent xeyes with a drop shadow is cool.
* windows never damage each other's contents.
* Use the full-screen-switch key to toggle the menu bar
* You MUST be in 32-bit color ("millions"). This will
die horribly if you aren't. Don't change colors or
screen size while running.
* Only works on the main screen.
* xsnow is slow.
* Window manager root menus are inaccessible.
* Has not been tested on Mac OS X 10.0.1 or 10.0.2
There are currently a few glitches and at least one
potentially serious bug:
* command keys don't work (e.g. command-Q)
* key commands in Prefs dialog don't work.
* all X windows are brought forward together.
* window resize is ugly, especially non-rectangular
** X apps that try to change the border width of a
window will probably crash. I only know of one that
does, a test program I wrote, and I haven't used it in a
while. It probably won't happen, but be warned. Of
course, there may be other crashing bugs, too.
Some apps that are known to work: Netscape 4.7, XEmacs,
xterm, xclock, xeyes, xev, XEvil, xbill, xdaliclock,
twm, WindowMaker, xsnow, xlogo, xtetris, zwgc, xmille.
(No, I don't have Mac OS X ports of most of these; they
were run remotely from a Solaris box.)
Log in to post a comment.