XFree86 126.96.36.1991 is a pre-release snapshot of XFree86 4.3.0. This snapshot is release candidate 1 for version 4.3.0. Prebuilt binaries for selected platforms, including Darwin 6.x/Mac OS X 10.2.x are available from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/snapshots/188.8.131.521/binaries/. Instructions for installing are at http://www.xfree86.org/184.108.40.2061/Install.html.
This snapshot is feature complete snapshot of XFree86 4.3.0. Some of the notable improvements:
- Faster 2-D drawing in rootless mode
- Hardware accelerated GLX in rootless mode
- Much faster full screen mode 2-D drawing, comparable to rootless mode
- New font configuration library (fontconfig)
- Ability to use all native Mac OS X fonts
It is anticipated that the libraries and X clients from 4.3.0 will be included in Apple's final X11 for Mac OS X release. Testing of this snapshot is encouraged to shake out any final bugs before the 4.3.0 release. (Testers on pure Darwin systems are particularly needed.)
Log in to post a comment.