window managers & menus while rootless

Help
2002-12-27
2003-01-27
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I'm just bringing up my x11 env under Darwin/OS-X ...

When I run XDarwin as rootless, how do I access the
    window managers (fvwm2) menus that are bound to mouse
    button clicks against the root (background) window? 

In fullscreen mode, this works with no problem.

In rootless mode, it changes from XDarwin to Finder. 

• Patrik Montgomery

You don't, generally. fvwm is very customizable, you can probably map a keypress to bring up the root menu. Other than that, sorry.

• Nobody/Anonymous

An interest thought.  At least to me...  :-)

In the toolbar banner for XDarwin when in rootless mode,
      wouldn't "buttons" or pulldowns to emulate mouse button
      events against the root window be useful?

Should I post/send this suggestion somewhere else?

• Patrik Montgomery

Here is fine, a new topic in Open Discussion would be even better... Having an area to accept root window clicks in rootless mode could be useful, but what do you mean with "toolbar banner"? I think it has been suggested (waaay back) that clicks in unused parts of the menu bar should count as root clicks, but nothing ever came of it.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2003-01-25

>I think it has been suggested (waaay back) that clicks in unused parts of the menu bar should count as root clicks, but nothing ever came of it.

Strictly speaking this isn't totally true. Clicks with the second and third mouse button in the unused part of the menubar are passed to X11 as if they occured at the very top of the X11 root windows. This only works with real 3 button mice and may or may not work if you have a custom driver for your mouse such as MouseWorks. There is no easy way to get button one events. We would have to provide our own menubar handling code that duplicates what Apple does.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Having root clicks in the menu bar would be very useful. Even if it was via a pulldown menu.  ;-)  Is it possible to add a set of buttons to the menu bar instead of a pulldown menu?  I have no idea about the menu bar implentation nor programming against its API so I'm not sure what the limitations are.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks