XFree86-4.2.0.1 Update - Info.plist

Help
2002-10-26
2002-12-18
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Can someone please tell me why the update freezes at "Installing... Info.plist"?  The installer runs fine until this point and then hangs.  I have reinstalled 6 times with no success.  This is extremely frustrating.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2002-10-26

First do you mean XFree86_4.2.0.1 or XFree86_4.2.1.1? If you mean 4.2.0.1, then this installer has been well tested and used and you likely have something peculiar on your machine or you got a bad download. Try running the Console application and looking to see if you get any helpful messages.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yeah, I figured out what it was.  I downloaded the JDK1.4.1 DP2 from Apple yesterday and the InstallAnywhere installer does NOT like it.  Lesson learned.

• Anonymous - 2002-10-26

I'll second that the InstallAnywhere app does freeze at Info.plist.

I, too, have installed 1.4.1DP2.

I do not understand why a JAVA installer is being used to install NON-JAVA code?  And binary code which is not cross-platform compatible as well?

Using a JAVA installer implies the product being installed is cross-platform compatible -- hence "Install ANY-where".

Or am I mistaken?  Will running this particular 4.2.1.1 update also put the fixes on Linux, Solaris, i386, et al. platforms as well?

Sorry, I had to duke it out with IBM OS/2 support staff for a similar situation... couldn't run their updaters either because their JAVA runtime was broken...

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2002-10-27

>I do not understand why a JAVA installer is being used to install NON-JAVA code? And binary code which is not cross-platform compatible as well?

People mix and match development environments all the time. I doubt Zero G Software (the developers of InstallAnywhere) would be offended to know there software is being used with non-Java code.

>Using a JAVA installer implies the product being installed is cross-platform compatible -- hence "Install ANY-where".

We are using a Java installer because it was the best available tool for the job. Actually the version of InstallAnywhere we are using is specifically for Mac OS X only. I believe Zero G named it InstallAnywhere to indicate that it could install anywhere, not that it forced you to make all installers multi-platform.

>Sorry, I had to duke it out with IBM OS/2 support staff for a similar situation... couldn't run their updaters either because their JAVA runtime was broken...

There is definitely a bug either with Apple's preview Java release or InstallAnywhere. I will notify Zero G of the issue in case they are not aware of it already.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I can also confirm that the installer freezes at Info.plist and
      I have also installed JDK1.4.1DP2 from Apple.

• Anonymous - 2002-10-26

[I found this in the Readme.html that came on the dmg before installing the 1.4.1DP2 pkg:]

JDK 1.4.1 is enabled by default after installation.
      To switch to the JDK 1.3.1 that came with Mac OS X 10.2, do this in a shell:
      % sudo /usr/local/bin/jsettestjdk 1.3.1
      To switch back to using the JDK 1.4.1 seed:
      % sudo /usr/local/bin/jsettestjdk 1.4.1
      To determine which version of java is currently active:
      % java -version

[after I did the above switch, this InstallAnywhere app for 4.2.1.1  did work, albeit extremely slowly]

• Nobody/Anonymous

Wow! Many thanks.  I couldn't get xdarwin to run. Whew the hell knew it would come down to a Java installer.

Thanks...

• Nobody/Anonymous

The problem still exists for 1.4.1 DP6. Why do you use this installer? Why not the .pkg installer Apple provides?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I second the motion for the Apple Package Installer.  I have used it with great success.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks