2 questions on X

Help
2003-01-06
2003-01-06
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I have been having some problems running X11 while **logged in under >console mode** in OSX.

1. I used to be able to type something like "startx" in the command line and that would start up X11. That no longer works since I reinstalled it on a new HD. Am I forgetting something? I found some stuff in my /usr/x11r6, but those just open a gray screen with the X-shaped cursor; no terminals windows open and I cant get out.

2. How do I get out of X11 and continue startup to MacOSX. "Exit" and "logout" works fine in the normal >console mode command line, but not in the X11 terminals. If I logout or exit in X11, I'm left with a gray screen with the X-shaped cursor. I then end up having to press the restart button.

• Nobody/Anonymous

do you have your own .xinitrc or are you using the default?

if you have your own .xinitrc, what is the program (X11 app) you are using to hold X up?  is it possible this app is not visisible on your screen (possibly off the visible desktop)?

before exiting your last xterm, do a 'ps aux' to see what processes are running that may be X11 apps connected to your Xserver. 

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks