How to rebuild an updated XDarwin?

Help
John
2003-01-03
2003-01-03
  • John

John - 2003-01-03

Hi, I could use some basic advice--I've downloaded the xfree86 source (cvs), and built it using the supplied instructions (make World, etc.). It works fine, of course. My question is how to build an updated versions: For example I did a cvs update on XServer, and typed 'make' in that directory, and it failed with a linking problem (not finding some symbols). I then updated the entire xc tree. Using a simple 'make' command also failed. Doing a make clean and then make world again certainly succeded, but the whole point is not having to do it this way, right? (at the very least, how to build the source and not have to sit through the endless font conversions and packaging! Like, when's the last time the font files actually changed!)

So, could you post some instructions for updating/rebuilding the whole or partial pieces of the project.  All I've found is the instructions for initial checkout and make world that have been around for ages.

Thanks for your help,

John

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2003-01-03

>So, could you post some instructions for updating/rebuilding the whole or partial pieces of the project. All I've found is the instructions for initial checkout and make world that have been around for ages.

Knowing the minimum you need to rebuild is not easy and generally takes knowledge of how all the pieces of XFree86 relate to each other. However, you can normally do significantly less than "make World". Here are some general tips:

1. Try "make Everything" from the top level. This rebuilds all your Makefiles and then rebuilds anything that has changed. This is much faster then "make World" and works 9 times out of 10. Generally it only fails if some config file in xc/config has changed in a way that would cause some other file that hasn't changed to be compiled differently. If you know some files need to be rebuild for sure you can first remove the object files or do "make clean" in the directory where they live.

2. In a particular directory you can do "make" and "make install". This works as long as nothing outside of this directory tree has changed.

3. If any config files have changed (in xc/config/cf) you definitely need to rebuild your Makefiles. You can do this in a particular directory with "make Makefile" or in a tree of directories with "make Makefiles".

• John

John - 2003-01-03

Thanks for the info!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks